Sign in to follow this  

how to start a stubborn 1985 xr200r?

I have a 1985 XR200R and when I get it going after what feels like twenty minutes of kicking it goes but when it sits for half an hour to an hour it refuses to start I was wondering if anyone knew how to start it when its cold. I have tried to compresion start it and that never really helped but works from time to time. It is the weird rfvc engine or what ever its called so let me know if any one knows how to get it to start.

Thanks,

ricon650

How does it run when running :cry:

Sounds like it needs a valve adjustment ,Carb. cleaned,How's the air filter?

Run a comp. test, maybe it needs a valve job or rings :cry:

Or just a good tune up, New spark plug.........

thats the dual carbed 200, try turning the idle screw in a few turns before you start it, that should help but you will need to turn it down after it start ofcourse.

you could also try to open the throttle with the switch off and kick thru 5 or so times then turn it on and kick for real.

definately check valve adjustment and decompression cable adjustment too

I have a brand new spark plug already in, but I'm almost willing to try anything. But once its running it is a fairly good runner I'm new to four strokes. When I'm out in the open and have it pind it runs fairly well. And the one time I was able to ride in the woods the engine did pretty good. I will try all of these ideas and let you know what happens.

Thanks,

ricon650

Are you getting a nice, fat blue spark when you kick it over with the plug out? If the spark is just sorta blue and not very bright, it could be an electrical problem. Since the bike is 20 years old, check all the wire connections to make sure they're clean and tight. One place often overlooked is where the coil bolts to the frame. If you get a little rust between the mount and the frame, you'll have a poor ground and it can lessen the spark. Pull the coil off and clean up both surfaces with some fine emery paper....and even do the washers on the mounting bolt.

Other than that, properly adjusted valves, fresh gas, clean filter, and check for gunk in the carbs ought to do it...

Good luck,

Mac

Thanks everyone tommarrow 2/8/05 I will try to start it when its been sitting for one day. Today I looked at the spark and it seemed to be strong and then I cleaned out the air filter. Once I put it all back together I compresion started it quit easily and I think when I kick it if I hold the throttle open it seams to fire easily enough but if it doesn't tommarrow, I'll tear it down and start going down your guy's lists of things to do or check. Thanks again.

ricon650