Sign in to follow this  

Are my rings shot

My 01 wr250f seems to have very little compresion to other bikes i have pushed down on. And might i add is a ball of sweat to start could it be my rings or valves or something else on there way out i know these bikes are high maintanence but thats what i get for wanting power. any help fellars cheers

Low compression and hard starting are symptoms that you have some type of valve train problems and you need to check your valves, valve seats, valve guides and more than likely you'll need to freshen up your top end with a new piston and rings. Might as well replace the timing chain too while you have the top end apart.

mine is a manual decompresion i wish it was auto but not so lucky. Thanks guys for your input i was thinking of doing the valves so they should check all the rest for me just incase and yeah i might aswell throw in a piston kit too why not, peace of mind i will have a fresh top end cheers

Not that I know anything, but from what I have read on here, definitely investigate rather than "letting it go." You don't want to break a valve or something and lead to REALLY big $$.

You didn't say how many hours were on the bike. Does it run well once you get it started or is it down on power? Any blue smoke coming out? Does it run hot?