Sign in to follow this  

Oil color

Changed the cam chain, and put new oil in.

After 15 minutes of running (low revs, in neutral), I wanted to check evrything again before I put the Magic Cam Chain Tensioner in. So I drained the oil again.

When I pour in new oil it's like honey, nice, yellow-orange-brown, but after 15 minutes of use, it's a hell of a lot darker! Is that normal? :cry:

On the dipstick it looks like new, but when it has drained in a bucket it is not as clear as it used to be, a lot!.

tnx a lot! :cry:

I drain as much as possible, but it's obvious that there is still oil left (I noticed there are some puddles in the cilinder head where old oil remains, I wouldn't be surprised if there are many spots like that).

I have zero metal shavings in my oil (filtered it yesterday with a fine cloth), and nothing on the magnetic drain bolt. Evrything runs fine and smooth, great power, just like when new.

The oil isn't completely black (not even after many hours hard use), but it's just a lot darker. Very dark brown.

I noticed my bike always colored the oil in a very short time. I currently use Denicol semi-synthetic 10w40 Thumper Lube.

My filter looks clean though. A little brownish but completely normal imo.

I can't imagine that after very little use the oil that comes out is still as new, amber colored. That would be a totally new experience to me :cry:

note: I have zero oil comsumption. On the dipstick it looks normal and clear, but that's only because it has such a thin layer of oil on it.

here you can see it's color, it's the only pic I have, notice the puddles and its color. This was the oil that was in right before I put fresh oil in. Old oil:

ccreplacement2.jpg

New oil quickly gets about the same color, let's say after 1h of riding.

Perhaps... I mis interpreted you description the first time.

If it is just slightly darker,, well then,, ya,, thats pretty normal.. With some old much darker (contaminated) oil still in the motor,, and the natural combustion by products for that 15 min...... As for a this oil vs that oil.....ain't going to go there :cry:

Additionally,, as I do not have a quad,,, but a DRZ,, it may be that the quad hold more dirty oil in it then the bike... but,, I know I can drain my oil and filter, drop in 2 qt of oil,, run for 15 min,, drain,,,and you would be hard pressed to SEE the difference.

The oil HAS to be darker due to the mixing others have mentioned. It's also possible that your oil has some sort of marker chemical in it which intentionally turns it darker after it reaches a certain temp.

hmmm strange :cry:

Could it be caused by blow-by? But that would make me wonder since my bike always made my oil a lot darker within a few hours. :cry:

I think it was broken in properly, I mean, like the manual suggests, maybe a bit harder though. That's another discussion but you get the point :cry:

I have had the opportunity to match it to other stock unmodded z400's in the past, and I must say it always seemed mine ran better, nicer, smoother.

I know it's extremely hard for you to help me on this fairly subjective thing. In the above picture, does that oil look pitch black, or just "used" just like the oil you drain right before you chainge the oil?

Tnx a lot for all the help!!!!! :cry:

What I see in that picture,, is normal,, ..Oil that has been run say 10 hours or so.. It is not so contaminated,, that you can not see through it.. I see nothing wrong :cry: from that pic.

If your interested in playing a bit.. Go get 4 qt of run of the mill,, $1.25 Auto oil,, (non energy conserving,, SG rated) Drain old oil well and clean the filter (replace if you use paper) drop in two new qt of oil.. Run for just a few minutes,, say 3~5, drain oil.. Add two more qt's,, run 5 minutes, drain (your up to all of $5 in wasted oil now) Now add your normal,, high quality oil..... See what it does as for color... in a specified time. As now,, it will be just combustion contamination and heat changing the color,, not the mixing of old oil.

tnx! :cry:

Thanks for the experiment ideas, but I won't be playing with the motor anymore, I am tired of seeing gears, oil, metal parts,... Now I want to go riding, I could certainly use that after it stayed for almost 3 weeks in the garage :cry:

I will fire it up tonight with the new Machinist thingy in it :cry:

Exciting! :cry: