Sign in to follow this  

honda v yamaha

MY MATE IS LOOKING TO BUY A NEW BIKE BUT CAN'T DECIDE BETWEEN A HONDA CRF250-X OR A BLUE WR250, I'VE READ THAT THE HONDA PISTON SHOULD BE CHANGED EVERY 15 HOURS (IS THIS TRUE) AS IT WILL BE A DICIDING FACTOR, IT WILL BE USED FOR OPEN TRAIL RIDES AND SOME TIGHT SINGLE TRACKS, NOT RACING, ANY INPUT YOU GUYS CAN GIVE WOULD BE GREAT :cry:

Providing it's well maintained, 15 hours is excessive. No, make that WAY excessive. I assume he's looking at 2005 models? 2005 model CRF250's have re-designed piston skirts so the reliability should be better.

I personally would spring for the WR mainly because it's easier to find a good Yamaha dealer than a good Honda dealer. All of our local Honda dealers ummm....suck.

What has the world come to? I'm a Yamaha rider and voting for a Honda :cry:. Stupid!!! Really, Honda has Yamaha beat on this one. The x handles better, feels lighter, and just is overall better than the wr. Except in two catagories... Reliability- the wr top-end will outlast all 250f's. Power- This is not even close, the Yami puts out awesome power, except it has one problem. It has to be uncorked to run at a reasondable rate and the jetting has to be messed with for the new settings. The Honda can easily be run stock and still puts out okay power. If you need the extra power, I would get the wr, but if that isn't the main priority, get the crf. Besides, who gets a trail 250f for power?

Greg,

the boys here are telling you to TURN OFF the caps lock. In this world, it is the equivalent of yelling. You don't mean to be yelling at us do you??

Thanks,

RH

So how do you know your drinking a true blue fosters? .........the bubbles of course... well that and the light crisp refreshing taste :cry:

Definitly get the Honda. I would never own a stupid Yamaha. 15 hours on a Honda sounds wrong. Those bikes are bulletproof. Could probably go forever on the same piston.

J/K :cry:

nomal use it will last a lot longer

There is no piston replacment schedule for trail use. As said above, 15 hours is for competition use and is still very conservative. It seems that many (not all) of the X valve troubles may be associated with doing the pink wire mod (raises the rev limit) with the stock X cam and dirt ingestion into the vent lines on the FCR carb.

Dirt Rider got 75 - 100 hours out of the stock piston while riding the bike like a rental car. When they tore it apart, the piston looked like it still had a lot of life left in it. This was a stock piston that even had a few days of dyno testing under its belt.

Rick Ramsey rides his on rather sedate trail rides and finally tore it apart at nearly 2,300 miles. Everything was still in spec, he just wanted to put in a big-bore kit. There are many more people with lot's of trouble free miles. They just don't stop and make a "no problem" post.

Sorry I did not mean to yell I'm new to this, just lazy with my punctuation I will do better in the future :cry:

So how do you know your drinking a true blue fosters? .........the bubbles of course... well that and the light crisp refreshing taste :cry:

G'day dave4127690

Just a quick note, Fosters is probably the lowest selling beer over here, VB is our biggest seller, stronger taste then Fosters but just as refreshing :cry: .

But back to bikes keep the info coming boys, My mate is only a little fella about 5'9 and 80kgs (176 pounds I think) :cry:

Is jetting that hard that someone would not but a bike if they had to do it. Besides, every bike will probably get rejetted if you plan to do anything to it. If you're not capable of jetting, thatn I wouldn't buy a yamaha, or even work on any bike. but if you want power, definatley, go yamaha.

G'day dave4127690

Just a quick note, Fosters is probably the lowest selling beer over here, VB is our biggest seller, stronger taste then Fosters but just as refreshing :cry: .

But back to bikes keep the info coming boys, My mate is only a little fella about 5'9 and 80kgs (176 pounds I think) :cry:

geez, i thought fosters was like our budweiser is to us. is VB available here in the states?

geez, i thought fosters was like our budweiser is to us. is VB available here in the states?

I'm not sure if it is available over there give it a try ask for victoria bitter brewed by carlton united. It is just a myth that we all drink fosters just like everyone thinks we have kangaroos jumping down the the main streets.

Anyhow time for brekky (roo burger washed down with a nice cool VB) :cry:

wait are you trying to say that there aren't kangeroos hopping all over Australia, impossible, I saw them in the Sydney Olypmics :cry: