Sign in to follow this  

250 vs 400

I an currently on an XR250 and am worried about destroying the bike.

I have only just started riding again after seventeen years and thought an XR250 would be a good way to start off again but am finding every time I go out I seem to be ringing IT,s neck.

The 250 is great in the tight stuff keeping up with much more powerfull bikes but lacks on the open trails.

I don,t want to loose the ability to through the bike around in the tight stuff but need more power.

Is there a great difference in the weight and the ability to through it around.

By the way this is the first time on thumper talk since joining ten minutes ago, It,s great even us aussies ride as well.

I think you should figure out what type of riding you do most of the time,tight tecnical stuff or wide open riding,are you going into competition. Remember you can always make the 250 more powerfull. :cry:

HI Fatboy Ski!

Its great to see another Aussie here! :cry::cry:

Yep I'd say you'd be yea better off with the XR4!

I had the XR250, it was just too gutless. The XR4 is perfect!

Hey XR4 guy!

Whats it like living in New York and owning a XR4?

Is there many places to go riding? You'd have to travel for ages to get to ride anywhere decent wouldnt you?

And also whats it like just living in new york in general? Just curious. I live in country Mid Western Australia. New york is a big difference! And I just thought of it, cause Donald Trumps The Apprentice is on TV rite now.

Good on ya! :cry:

i got a XR400, it got so much better low end!

hey hxr400, do i have a ride if i come down under to look for ya?? :cry:

Since I got my 4 last year, I have a hard time keeping my 15 year old off it. He says (& I agree) that it handles like his XR250, but has a lot more power.

I've owned both and prefer the xr250 as an overall package. But I also have to rev the motor very hard on the xr250 almost all the time. So far, the xr250 has never let me down, but I do wonder if the high RPMs will hurt the bike's longevity.

I've owned both and prefer the xr250 as an overall package. But I also have to rev the motor very hard on the xr250 almost all the time. So far, the xr250 has never let me down, but I do wonder if the high RPMs will hurt the bike's longevity.

Yes, I've noticed my son has to keep the R's up on his 250, even with the 6 speed, and I can't help think that the 400 would fair better in the long run as you said. Good point EM_rider.

I'm stickin' with the 250. I may decide to put a 280 kit and an edelbrock carb this year, but I have ridden the XR250 back-to-back with the xr400 and I prefer the light weight and nimbleness of the 250. The only reason I'm considering the 280 kit is the fact all my riding is between 7,000 and 11,000 feet. The kit is less than most pipes will cost and really wakes this little bike up. I want the Edelbrock b/c it's supposed to have better throttle response and stay jetted better with big altitude changes. It just feels great to me to have a blast riding a bike for all it's worth! I have just as much fun on the XR250 as I do on my 450x. It's just a little different kind of fun. The 450x is less challenging to ride on the really big hillclimbs and honestly more fun for wide open, high speed trails. I just do a lot more of the technical stuff and not so much of the high speed stuff.

As far as reliability goes, the big bores will always have an advantage due to lower RPM's and the fact they are rarely used to capacity. However, it still takes a lot of neglect to break an XR. Keep an eye on the valve clearance and be prepared to do some maintenance and everything should be cool. I've had 4 XR's including (2) XR250's, (1) XR600, and (1) XR400. I've never had to dissassemble one yet!

Before i got my xr400 i was riding a xr250 and the only difference i feel lin the bikes is the power...the 400 seems just as nimble as the 250....

:cry: xr400

It's not likely you will feel much difference on open trails. When you're on 1st/2nd gear stuff for hours at a time you will see a night and day difference. That's why I pointed out that big bikes are ideal for big spaces and small bikes are ideal for small spaces. Even a guy as big a Scott Summers was faster on a closed loop forest trail with the XR250 compared to the XR400. If I remember the DB article correctly, he was fastest on the XR600, Slowest on the XR400 and somewhere in between on the XR250. He rode all three on the same course to see what the advantages/disadvantages were for each machine. He was fast on the XR600 because it was a clear advantage over the other two when the trail opened up. He was also very fast on the XR250 because it had a clear advantage when things got tight and size/weight worked against you. He said he was slowest on the XR400 because it didn't have a clear advantage in either wide open stuff or the really tight stuff. All that stuff in the middle is where any bike can do well. I thought that article was spot-on. That doesn't mean I don't like the XR400, because I liked mine a lot. I think a guy needs to look at where he's riding the most. If it's mostly tight woods and single track, go small. Open terrain and desert, think big. If you do a lot of both or ride stuff that's in between, then the XR400 is the machine you should pick. Better yet, just buy one of everything :cry:

The door is always open. :cry:

We ride every weekand and went for a ride this afternoon after work of course we would go riding.

That,s great. I really like the tight stuff but most of riding is 50% tight, 30% hill climbs and 10% open riding.

I love putting 250 through the tight stuff because I usually leave the bigger bikes for dead but I didn,t want to compromise that to get a little more power,do you put yours into the tight stuff as hard as you did the 250 and are you quicker out of the corner on 400.

Thanx,

Gav

But see the thing I dont get is the XR250 isnt supose to be a high reving bike.

And youse reckon you have to rev its ring off to ride em through the tight stuff?

Dosnt it feel like your reving it so hard that its lost all its power? Like you know, the power curve? The harder you rev it it looses its power and torque.

Well thats what I found with my XR250 anyway. It was too guttless, and I didnt want to rev it HARD, because it wouldnt do anything.

Even with my XR440, theres no point reving its guts out because I cant get anymore power out of it by doing that.

Just curious, Mabey you need to because with the high revs its way more responcive?

Hows it garn mate good t see another aussie!! Your bike choice depends on what riding you do of course. If you ride in tight techinical stuff most of the time, keep the 250 and bear in mind they actually love a few revs! For half and half get the 400 or if you ride mostly open high speed stuff dont consider anything else but an XR650R, 170 km/h top speeds are fun!

That,s great. I really like the tight stuff but most of riding is 50% tight, 30% hill climbs and 10% open riding.

i think you answered your own question with the above statement , i would rather flog & beat my 250 20% of the time than have to lug around an extra 35lbs 100% of the time.

I've raced this 98 puppy for 3 yrs, if anybody does time keep there is a net advantage of having a lighter and smaller bike especially in these situation.

Also hare scrambles are generally designed with wear and tear on the rider in mind not the bike so weight become a huge issue .

All things put in prespective Scott Summers did a test on xr 600, 400, and 250 his fastest times was on the 250.

I certainly dont have Summers ability but its just a point.

For me the 250 has been extremely reliable , even played submarine a few times.

The 400 is a great machine but i was given the choise for $200 more to buy a 400 in 98 rather than my 250 and i passed , I never looked back :cry:

stu

It's an interesting debate.

I bought the 400 in 2002. Ever since then I have been kicking myself because I feel the bike is too heavy. Love the low end power, though, and overall the bike is really fun to ride. I have never ridden the 250, so I think I assume that it would have been so much lighter and more fun to ride. You know, the grass is always greener scenario.

If I had purchased the 250, I'd probably be doing the same thing. Kicking myself because I need more low end power!

Nice to hear that some people don't feel there is that much difference in handling between the two bikes. Makes me feel better about keeping my 400 and being happy. The difference is only 18 pounds, and most of my riding is 2nd-3rd gear stuff. GNCC type woods riding where I rarely use 1st gear. As a matter of fact, with the low end power of the 400... I can leave the bike in 3rd for most of the time and grunt through the corners.