Sign in to follow this  

Engine surge/stall when I stand up

Yesterday was my second time off road riding (my first being a brutal mud-fest with Unabiker a month or so ago). My main goal was to practice standing on the pegs and steering with my feet instead of my unsuccessful "sit and paddle" technique. Got the bike unloaded and was headed across the field to the woods and as soon as I stood up the bike started a strong surging. As soon as I sat down it went away. I tried a few more times and it was the same - as soon as I stood up the bike would surge. My first thought was that I was doing something goofy with the throttle but I carefully watched the throttle as I stood up and it wasn't moving. More/less gas had no effect. Had my buddy ride it and he couldn't reproduce it.

I ended up going back to the truck and pulling the seat and gas tank thinking something must be pinched. I checked the vacuum lines and throttle cables and nothing looked out of place. Put it back together and headed out again. Same thing - bike worked fine when sitting but as soon as I stood up it would surge. Sometimes I would pull in the clutch during a surge and the engine would die. &%$#@!? At this point I'm thinking jetting, water in the gas, vacuum leak, intermittent ground, and a bunch of other possibilities.

I finally decided the hell with it - we'd just driven two hours and I was going to ride. Spent all day riding and the engine would still intermittently surge/die when I stood up. Kind of inconvenient during a muddy uphill climb. It didn't happen every time, but most of the time. I figured I'd spend an evening or two this week disassembling the bike and tracing hoses/wires looking for pinch points and intermittent connections.

With only a half hour left in the day I finally figured it out. I was standing with my feet close in to the cases with my heels slightly down. My left heel was resting on the kickstand spring! In fact, I'd rubbed the black paint off the top of the spring. Guess what I'll be disconnecting tonight?

Do the same with the clutch kill switch while your at it man!!!!!!

DR-Z 400 S 2004

When I first saw the title of the post I said to myself, "KICKSTAND"!!!! Same thing happened to me, but only on jump landings, I disconnected it as quick as possible. Just solder the two wires together where they meet under the seat and get rid fo the switch and extra wires. Put some shrink tube over the solder and you'll be good to go.