Sign in to follow this  

Starting to get discouraged!

When I first started looking at getting a CRF250R, I was pumped to say the least. However, now that I am reading all the threads about them I starting to think that maybe I should stick with a two-stroke :cry: . Maybe you all can pull me back from the dark side. What's the deal with all of the valve problems and faulty oil misters etc.? The more I read, the more problems I read about. Is the upkeep on these machines that intense? I have been reading about the YZF's, and it seems that they have far less problems than the Honda's. I would really love to invest in a red machine this time around though. Any advice I can get would be great.

You're reading an Internet forum? This is generally the place CRF owners post their problems in the hopes that they'll get help from fellow owners. It's not really the norm for people to logon and post all of their happy experiences. I ride the hell out of my CRF and haven't had a single problem with it. The CRF's have basically won every 250F shootout in every publication I've read.

With proper maintenance, you will not have any problems. If for some reason you do end up having problems, fix it and keep riding. I'm starting to have what I believe are clutch problems but at this point, I've got somewhere around 100 hours of fairly hard riding. I would think it's perfectly normal to have some clutch problems at 100 hours. The pros replace these parts after pretty much every moto.

The Yamis are great bikes too and I don't think you would be disappointed with either. If you have a chance to test ride the CRF, I'd be willing to bet you would buy one. I test road several bikes and it took me about 30 seconds on the CRF to know that's the one I wanted. I haven't looked back and definitely don't regret the purchase for a minute.

I was considering the same thing you were. Until saturday, I rode a yzf, and on saturday I came home with a 05 crf 250. I absolutely love the bike. It handles better in the corners and seems to have better all round power than my old yamaha. I cant wait to get the bike on an outdoor track.

Good point about the internet forum. However I am currently serving in Iraq, and this is the best source of info I can get right now.

It is deffienetly a relief to here that someone hasn't had any serious problems with the thumper. I can deal with clutches and things of that nature. There is just alot of people talking about some serious problems with an expensive fix added to them.

I will be back in the states soon and will be looking forward to taking one out before I make a final decision.

I like this bike. I've had a couple problems but nothing too major. I needed to get a new rim and spokes due to me being lazy with the spokes but that is something that can easily be avoided with proper maintnience. I also had some problems with the engine (water pump seal) I also needed to replace the fork seal quite a few times on my left fork. But other then that it runs great and the power comes on just how I like it. I personally like it much much better than the YZF250 and I'm not just saying that because I have one. It's great for wheelies too, for some reason I had some trouble getting the YZF to lift up but this bike comes up with ease to say the least. I heard the 05 has alot more bottom end than the 04 and is a little more refined. I have the 04 and am very pleased with it so I'm sure you won't be regretting the purchase of an 05 CRF250R.

Good luck...

There is just alot of people talking about some serious problems with an expensive fix added to them.

As HR said, most people post problems. The people that aren't having problems are out riding, so it's hard to tell the extent of a problem judging by posts here.

I will be back in the states soon and will be looking forward to taking one out before I make a final decision.

Thanks for being there, and get back safe! Lot's of dirt to tear up :cry: .

RAYWY, I got back form a one year tour over there in July, had knee surgery in August and bought an '04 CRF250X in September. I love the thing.

I too was looking at this forum from over there when I was able, and all of the talk was disturbing. BUT, and it's already been said, this is where people come when they have problems. Get one, you'll love it!

Doug

I am one of the ones that has posted a problem... and a big one at that. But I will say that things will happen to any bike. I have never had a problem with any bike I have ever owned, but the my CRF250's oil pump was "faulty" and cause there to be no oil going to the top end... yes it is going to be pricey but do I regret the purchase of the CRF... NO.

The Honda is so much more fun to ride, and with proper maintnance and upkeep you will ride it for a long time.

I plan to fix my bike, and get back to the track ASAP.

Hope that helps you a little bit.

Dave

Thanks to everyone who replied to this tread. I have only posted two threads in this forum, but everyone was more than willing to lend their advice. I am sure that TT users will be very helpfull in the future. :cry:

i am getting the crf250x because its a little more versatile than the crf250r because it has lights kickstand quieter exhaust. so you might wanna look at that.go with the honda over yamaha and thank you for serving our country

Maybe you all can pull me back from the dark side.

First of all I would like to say that a Jedi's power flows from The Force and that The Force is strong with this one. I think the Weez layed it down correct for you. I had a breif beginning with 125 2 strokes and then finished college and got married. Now I am back and on a 250F. It is a fun bike and is easier and more predictable to ride. You will have no problem working on the CRF. It is easier and there are less parts than on the YZF. If you stay on top of the maintenance it will be no problem. It is actually a ton of fun and you get a great sence of pride.

Second, If you are in Iraq serving our country I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart and let you know we think of the men and women there constantly. Thank you. :cry: Uncle Sam should buy you a CRF to try if you ask me. :cry:

I also purchaced a 04 crf250x after owning a batch of cr250r 2 strokes over the years. I was very discouraged after hearing about problems with pistons and skirts, but I continued to drive my pretty little 4 stroke with a vengence, bouncing the rev limiter while wringing every ounce of power out of the soft-spoken power plant, with my tongue drooling and flapping against the side of my helmet. This is by far the best-working and most forgiving motorcycle that I have ever ridden in my 30 years of riding. I would love the 450, but really should not have one. The 250x is more than sufficient stock, (with the ccc mods it is better!) and I just added a stock "r" muffler to ride at the local MX track, because I could not hear the quiet little beauty when racing with all of those big mean noisy smelly 2-strokes, but now It "Cracks!!" when I crank it, and it is awesome! Plus, I just stick the stock "x" muffler back on the next day, and the neighbours are happy again.

I rode all last season, changed my oil a lot, and kept things adjusted such as spokes and chain. My battery died-I think I baked it a bit on too big of a charger, but my valves never moved from their original tolerance. I really like this bike.

---- NOTE-I remember changing about 2 pistons and a cylinder a year on my 2 stroke 250 r's!!??. Piston and rings and gaskets =$165 canadian X 2,and 1 cylinder= $495.00 canadian. I don't think that the 4 strokes valves and piston would be that much, and they lasted all year! Plus, this bike is a lot fresher feeling than the 2 stroke 125 that my son has with the same amount of riding this year, and still will spank it in a drag race!

I am seeing alot of people who are pulling for the X model instead of the R. What are the advantages of the X over the R. I am an intermediate MX rider and an expert level cross country rider. I was thinking of going with the R seeing as how I will be sticking to mainly moto than cross country type event. Thanks to everyone how is replying, your advice is greatly appreciated. :cry:

Ray

Alot of personal reasons and myth out there.

"Some think the X is a better bike because it is not a full race bike".....WRONG...most dealer push that theory and the word spreads.

"The X is mellower and easy to ride at novice and trail pace. TRUE in stock form".

Most guys get the X and if the need more power they can choose many upgrade paths. Full CCC mods or partial, then add quicker steering and a update to the suspension.

We have raced our X with full CCC mods and updated suspension in our local off road series in the Expert class. It hangs well. Fast tracks with long drag race sections corner to corner are tough. The RMZ will pull us a bike or 2 every time. Gear spacing of the X requires us to givemore attention to track layout and fine drive gear. Problem is the cross country stuff needs the top speeds of the X. Even at 14/52 gearing we run it pinned in 5th alot then have to deal with MX type grass tracks. One those open sections Junior blows the RMZs away, so it is all a trade.

IMO the perfect cross country set up would be the R frame and suspension as a base. The 05 R motor (power between the 04 R and the 04X), a lighting coil with a tad of flywheel weight, 4th and 5th gear from the X or The X trans/primary drive with the "R" 1st and 2nd. A 3.4 gallon tank if someone made one.. The clarke 3 gal is ok for 2 - 2 1/2 events and 4 gallon IMS is just a tad bulky.

Well that is my dream. :cry:

Both are great bikes you need to just pick your poison...

Im rooting for the R. Im a hardcore motocrosser soldier too :cry:

While I was home for EML in december I got an 05 R and rode about an hour on it. Snow kinda puts a damper on riding

Ive only got a month left in Btown then its home sweet home

I am still leaning towards the R for the 250. However, for cross country and enduro I may go out and get the 450, just depending on how many events I end up doing. I know my cousin wants to go and try and qualify for some events and he wants me to try as well. I has been a while since I have competed, but I am sure it will all fall back into place after a couple of practices. :)

You will have no problem working on the CRF. It is easier and there are less parts than on the YZF.

mike,

not trying to start a blue-vs-red war here but what exactly do you mean by "less parts"? so, the honda SOHC valvetrain has one fewer cam and one fewer valve in contrast to the yamaha DOHC design. but the honda has the exhaust valve follower arm as well. i'd opine if you consider the whole bike assembly we are talking about a negligible difference of say 499 vs 501 parts, and it's not clear which bike has "less parts".

also, i think you'd agree that jetting/cleaning the carb on a perimeter frame bike is somewhat easier than on the honda CR/CRF design where the carb is mostly hidden by the aluminum side spars.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f w/ 4000 miles