Sign in to follow this  

13/51 = new chain???

I tried installing 13/51 gearing on my DRZ using the stock chain, it didn't work. The chain was on the loosest setting and it was way too tight. Question is, should I increase 2 or 4 links? Any experience/expertiece in this area is welcomed.

calcop, I changed my to a 13/50 combo several years ago and the chain had to be replaced. I would not recommend adding more than one master link. Buy a new one, I prefer the o-ring RK brand.

Alex

Cool, thanks for the info. I've never needed to replace a chain before so I'm knida new to it. Looking at the Rocky Mountain catalog, it looked like the chains moved in increments of 2 links. That may just be the sizing number and not have anything to do with links at all :cry: I dunno.

Cool, thanks for the info. I've never needed to replace a chain before so I'm knida new to it. Looking at the Rocky Mountain catalog, it looked like the chains moved in increments of 2 links. That may just be the sizing number and not have anything to do with links at all :cry: I dunno.

No your right on it.. those numbers are the amount of links in that packaged chain.

the stock DRZ chain is a 112.

Might I suggest you take a look at The TT Store for great deals on parts

I just replaced my chain and I have 13/51 gearing. I bought 114 link chain and it is a perfect fit. The setting on the rear wheel indicator is 2.0

I hope this helps.