Sign in to follow this  

Setting Timing on '84 XR 80

I just installed new rings in an '84 XR 80. I am at the point of installing the cam and timing chain. How do I lign up the cam for correct timing? I noticed on the sprocket a notch, but what do I lign it up too?

The T on the flywheel needs to at 12:00 as with the "o" on the top cam gear. Also, look into getting a manual and set the points according to the specs in the manual.

Thanks...

Answer this for me.. When I put the gear on the cam, I didnt see anything to direct me in the correct way to put it on. In other words, how do I know that I dont have it 180 degrees off? When the piston is at TDC, shouldnt both valves be closed? This is a fun project but I had one bike '84 that had just been rebuilt but was frozen from sitting up (piston was stuck, tap from wood handle freed it up). I have a 88 that the head was ruint. So I moved the top end (with new rings) over to the '88. So I guess I was wrong on the '84. '88 didnt have points did it?

I have to order a manual, I was just anxious and hoping to get these answers online unti it gets in. Thanks for your help.

There's a little "o" on the cam gear, it goes up ^. They CDI on XR80 motors in 1993 and XR100 motors in 1992.

I understand that part.. Sorry for the confusion...

What about when installing the cam gear on the cam? I didnt see any tabs to line it up on. I put the gear on and then spun it 180 degrees on the cam and the bolt holes lined up in that direction also. So my question is how do I know that the cam gear is on correctly. If I set the o to the top but the gear is off 180 degrees on the cam itself, I would be 180 degrees off on the timing, correct? I just didnt see any marks to line the cam gear on the cam with. I could have overlooked them though.

Again, sorry for the confusion. I really appreciate your time and advice.

Thanks a million... Let me recap this just to make sure I understand it correctly.

Flywheel: T faces 12:00 (straight up)

Cam Gear: o faces 12:00 (straight up)

Cam lobes: Should be facing down (which means both valves closed)?

Thanks again.. you are the man..