Sign in to follow this  

HL500 replicas.....

Just curious about what components are used to build a Yamaha HL500 replica? I was thinking around YZ400F/465G-H front end, RM400N-T swingarm, shocks to suit, maybe YZ465 twin actuating front drum?, etc. Also, the tanks appear to be early YZ125 (alloy), maybe even MX125-250, is this correct? Am I way off base with my guesses here? I've never seen one up close, but they are a beautiful looking bike. I'm thinking about starting to accumulate parts to build one. Any other tips? Thanks, Chris. :cry:

Just curious about what components are used to build a Yamaha HL500 replica? I was thinking around YZ400F/465G-H front end, RM400N-T swingarm, shocks to suit, maybe YZ465 twin actuating front drum?, etc. Also, the tanks appear to be early YZ125 (alloy), maybe even MX125-250, is this correct? Am I way off base with my guesses here? I've never seen one up close, but they are a beautiful looking bike. I'm thinking about starting to accumulate parts to build one. Any other tips? Thanks, Chris. :cry:

Your on the right track, the tank is off a 76 YZ125,to do it the propper way you need to find an early Husky 400 frame and build it to accept oil in the frame,modify the engine mounts to accept the new engine, modify the fram e to accept an RM400 swing arm and then modify the rear tail section to accept the 78-81 YZ250 seat fender, its a big job,but can be done.

Here are some nice HLs that you can do some reasearch on, there is also a guy in the UK selling reproduction frames of the HL,I am sure if you do some searching you might find him,and in Austrailia there is a horde of guys running the converted copies of them. I am building one myself,will send you some pics when I have had a chance to do so..

http://www.geocities.com/arniecoo431/GlenAxonhl500.html

hl50004.jpg

Hi Chris

Geoff Morris builds replica HL 500 frames in OZ (I can get you his email/phone no. if you're interested?) the kit includes an alloy swingarm etc, and he also has available most of the other frame bits to go with it.

A guy in NSW does the replica seats and plastic.

You will need an YZ125C or YZ125X tank (the YZ175's are as rare as hens teeth!)

I used a set of front forks from a 79 YZ400F as well as the front wheel/brake and triple clamp assembly.

The rear wheel and brake from a 79 YZ400F also bolts staright up.

You can use the later YZ465 hardware, and TLS brakes however if you wish to race in VMX events you need to be careful that you use the right parts from the right era!

Enjoy the project! :cry:

:cry: Chris,

Built an HL500 replica a few years back. Got a trick chrome-moly replica frame from an outfit in Australia. Already has the oil tank built in. Used a front end and wheels off a 76 YZ. Tank and seat are from a 76 YZ125. Tank is aluminum and good ones are getting harder to find. Get yourself a TT500 motor, long travel shocks, etc.

Plenty of photos and articles on the web. Also VMX mag from down under has many articles on original and replica HLs. You can get back issues from their website. They also have ads for the HL replica frame builders down under.

It's not a cheap project! Lots of fun to ride though. Mine always attracted attention, even from the modern MX guys. I rode it in the woods and on the local flat track. Had to sell it off during my divorce.

Good Luck!

Thank you all for the tips and pic's. :cry: When I was a lot younger, I had a YZ125X. Don't see many over here now. I think I sold it for $100, running, but not rideable due to cracked frame, broken chamber etc, etc.....(It actually had an IT425G engine fitted to it by it's previous owner..... :cry: vibrated itself to death :cry: ) I wish I still had that one, the bloody tank was mint :cry: There's a major swap meet coming up soon. I think i'll start looking for parts, cheers, Chris. :cry:

:cry: Geoff was the man! Got my replica frame from him. Great to work with! A fully tricked out HL with a hopped up TT motor is an E ticket vintage ride!!!! :cry:

Later,

Hey Chris,

If you don't have any luck at the swap meet, then have a look on ebay, they come up there pretty regularly.

Hey Chris,

If you don't have any luck at the swap meet, then have a look on ebay, they come up there pretty regularly.

I'm forever on eBay, according to my missus :cry: , so i'll keep a lookout. Thanks, Chris. :cry:

Anyone know of any picktures of a bare frame? I want to study the details of the frame.

Is it correct that they are modified Husqvarna frames? And if so, how extencive are the modifications?

Thanks!

I think they were a limited production run by a UK outfit, nothing to do with husky

The origianl HL500 prototype was a modified Husky frame in 1976 or 77. ProFab built frame kits based on the original frame. Geoff Morris Concepts in Australia builds replicas of these frames as well as swingarms and pipes. I would think this would be the best way too go.

Anyone know of any picktures of a bare frame? I want to study the details of the frame.

Is it correct that they are modified Husqvarna frames? And if so, how extencive are the modifications?

Thanks!

I have a GMC HL500 frame in my garage that I havent got around to building up yet, so can take some pix if you need. If you are still interested PM me and tell me what in particular you are looking for, and will try and help you out.

cheers

Andy

Hi Chris, I have a YZ tank, seat and front end in the shed. I was going to do the same with my XT 500. But due to financial restrictions [morgage, family etc]i can't biuld the bike the way that i would be happy with. If you are interested give me a call.:eek: Drew.

What a gorgeous bike... Looks bulletproof. I love old big-bore thumpers!

Funkenstein,

If you don't sell that tank I might be interested.........................

let me know

Brent

Hi Brent, I won't be putting the tank or seat on my bike. There is a guy in Norway that has already asked to buy. If he changes his mind i will certainly be in touch. I may sell some more parts yet [yz465 forks] as i am cleaning out the shed.Will be in touch. Drew.

I went with the modded stock frame , rake pulled in to 25.5 degrees , YZ465 front end with double leading shoe brake , Profab swingarm and for the time being Progressive shocks . For day to day use and most vintage races I run a Clarke plastic gas tank ( but I have two YZ aluminum tanks set aside ) The bike works good with the modded frame .......that , to me is the key . Anybody know how to post pics ?

Don't know how to do the pic's, but would love to see the tank. Can you tell me where you got the profab swinger. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Don't know how to do the pic's, but would love to see the tank. Can you tell me where you got the profab swinger. Thanks.:thumbsup:

I don't know how to posty pic's on the forum, I upload to www.photobucket.com, and then I copy the link to my posts.

As for a profab swingarm, I used to look for them on ebay. Never found one, but heard of someone who got one there. He supposedly paied USD 800 for it.

What is the rake on the stock frame? (We are talking about a TT / XT 500 frame, yes?) And what wheelbase do you get after your modification?

Thanks!