Sign in to follow this  

bottomed out rear susp?

I was out riding yesterday and a couple of times my rear tire rubbed up inside rear fender, didnt feel like it clanked just rubbed hard. I havent done much with my suspension, the po had Kouba links installed and set up for him(we are close to same size). Both times it rubbed was in a steep down hill with sharp v at bottom and then up with rocks, I think it was a hard on the gas at bottom or free fall last bit and butt bump as front is starting up other side, sorry for poor description, is this something that just happens? Is it a big deal? I need to change oil front and rear just havent had time, will fresh oil make a difference?

few things here

1; The Kouba links increase the leverage on the suspension,, giving an overall lower spring rate... thus easier bottoming the suspension vs stock

2: Yes, if the oil is old, contaminated , broke down,, it can effect the valving

5: Ideally,, you want the suspension set up,, so it uses every bit of travel.. on the biggest bumps,. G-outs, hits it might take.. But not clanking the stops constantly.

thanks Bronco, unfortunately I think I need the links, I am 5'9" and am tip toe now. The rubbing doesnt happen often with the trail riding I do, just wondering if I should stress about it. My bike is an 02 with only 1100 miles or so, the po put on 800 on the street, so does the oil get old with age or use? Can the oil in the rear shock be changed? Is it tough? I havent messed with the suspension at all, really low on time, so extra time is spent riding.

Reasons like this I almost want to tell people... don't buy lowering links. They change the rate of force applied. I'd almost prefer you had a bit of your seat foam cut out. Or we could tie some phone books to the bottom of your boots... Put you on a medevil stretcher, etc. Yea really I liked having a 10mm longer link in my DRZsm, helped for the lean over back and forth for cornering. But it really made me bottom out easier. my 10mm long like is basically identical to the kouba 3's. I probably wont put it back on the bike.

Ofcourse you could go with a stiffer spring, or more preload. I think that would make all the difference. Ofcourse I'm only a suspenion novice I don't do much valving.

5' 9" isn't short. At least not to me. 5' 6" is short. Try the stock links. You might like it.

I'd almost prefer you had a bit of your seat foam cut out. Or we could tie some phone books to the bottom of your boots... Put you on a medevil stretcher, etc.

:):):p

:):):p

You think I'm joking?... oh yea I am. I'm just a big teddy bear that growls. Scary but harmless unless you take my food.

yeah, I thought about trying the stock links but I dont have any, if they are cheap I may pick some off ebay and try them