Sign in to follow this  

Front Brake While Jumping

Just wondered if anyone can clear this up for me. I know the effects opening the throttle and using the back brake have on the bike while in the air but does anyone know the effects of putting the front brake on are if any? Just wondered as I heard someone say that it performs the same effect as using the back brake??? Cheers

Front brake in the air = crash

Simple. Forget about anything that anyone has told you about using the front brake in the air. Your best bet is to use good body position and you won't have to use the throttle or rear brake to compensate. If you have to use either, it is just a waste of energy.

James

Forget that...lol. U can use your front brake in the air if u want its easy. I dont recommend doing it on small jumps though cuz u dont wanna land with your tire locked up. Actually I've found that learning how to hit the front brake in the air really can save ya if get way out of control and front end high. Front brake in air does not equal crashing....It only equals crashing if u are a slower/noobish rider. Try it a few times....It feels weird at first but soon u will like it. :cry:

I'm not an expert on this, but I've heard the same statement also about using the front wheel.

One thing to consider is that the back wheel is heavier (which means more rotational mass), and probably provides more authority over the bike than the front.

Haven't tried this myself, though.

Your mileage may vary.

You can use the front brake, but it doesn't work as well as the rear. Also, when the front wheel stops spinning you lose the gyroscopic effect. This virtually eliminates your ability to make small corrections to the bike in the air by turning the front wheel. The only place I've had any success locking up the front wheel is cliff jumping. Even then, it doesn't do much.

Front brake in the air = crash

Simple. Forget about anything that anyone has told you about using the front brake in the air. Your best bet is to use good body position and you won't have to use the throttle or rear brake to compensate. If you have to use either, it is just a waste of energy.

James

Hmmm...nice advice. Correcting your trajectory in the air is a waste of energy? Maybe someone should tell all the AMA pros they aren't doing it right and should listen to you. :cry:

Using a brake tap in the air is a Corrective measure when you tragectory was off on take off. If you have perfect body position on take off you will never have to tap your brakes. NOW as far as the front brake goes DON'T ever use it too correct the bike. Using the front wheel to correct a jump will stop your front wheel making for a very sketchy landing, sure you might not crash everytime but you will crash. When you brake tap with the back wheel you still have the throttle to get back your forward momentum for a safe landing.

Someone said using a front wheel brake tap has the same effect as a back wheel brake tap, well throwing your self down the stairs has the same effect as walking, you end up at the bottom of the stairs, but walking is the prefered method and much safer. MIKE

Someone said using a front wheel brake tap has the same effect as a back wheel brake tap, well throwing your self down the stairs has the same effect as walking, you end up at the bottom of the stairs, but walking is the prefered method and much safer. MIKE

:cry::cry::cry::cry: I like the way u explained that!

Dont touch the front brake in the air.

No one does it despite what you're reading here. If you start jumping and even leave room in your head that touching the front brake is an opiton, one day you'll grab a little too much air, get nervous and possibly instinctively lock up the front. :cry::cry:

Stupid advise

I'm sure I'll catch some heat for this but if you're not an experienced jumper than forget it. I'm B class and I cant think of one time where I've used the front brake to control my bike in the air.

Keep ridin :cry:

I thought about using the front brake instead of the rear brake for mid-air corrections at the track one day. I decided to try it on a fair supercross style table-top. I thought it worked pretty good and I like doing it but Im not saying I do it on every jump or all the time, mainly the jumps that are shorter and shoot you higher. Thats how I like it but hey thats just me.

On hard packed tracks you sometimes can use the fronbrake, but i tried it like 5 times on a sandtrack and i flew over the bars 4 times... :)

I'm not sure how the terrain will change the affect when your in the air. i think you misread the topic.

Don't do it! If you get enough air, you need the angular force of the wheel spinning to steer you!!!!. If you get sideways in the air, there is really one good way to straighten out, but turning the front wheel while its STILL spinning.

Good luck.

You guys. OK, the point of using the rear brake is so u can get the tire moving again for the landing. If you use the front, the tire will have to got from stopped to instantly sped up! Just use the rear brake. :)

Forget that...lol. U can use your front brake in the air if u want its easy. I dont recommend doing it on small jumps though cuz u dont wanna land with your tire locked up. Actually I've found that learning how to hit the front brake in the air really can save ya if get way out of control and front end high. Front brake in air does not equal crashing....It only equals crashing if u are a slower/noobish rider. Try it a few times....It feels weird at first but soon u will like it. :)

Follow what he is saying. It does feel weird but if you get used to it and dont keep holding the brake when you hit the ground it can save your bum/a$$/legs or whatever the hell you want it to. :)