Sign in to follow this  

My oil choice?

I think I am going to go with the Bel Ray semi-synthetic 10W-40. My mechanic has used it for many years in all of his customers and his personal machines. Any comments???

I've used their EXS full syn, That was my first type I ran for the first 7500 miles after 350 mile intial change.

I thought it was pretty good, how much does that semi cost?

I suggest you use oil :cry:

I use Silkolene Pro 4 SX 15-50.

It's an Ester based full synthetic

Your going to get answers from,,

"Use what ever is on sale at wally world, car oil, bike oil, lawnmower oil,, it's all the same"

to

"Use only MC rated oil,, but anything like that is good"

to

"Use Silkolene Pro 4 SX 15-50" :cry:

Ask 10 riders what the best oil is,, get 12 answers

The one thing most agree on is,, change it often.

I'm with you and burned on that Silkoline is by far the best oil I have ever used. You can bet it isn't in either one of my bikes for long. prairiedawg :cry:

I use Silkolene Pro 4 SX 15-50.

Another vote here for the Fuchs (Silkolene Pro 4 SX 15-50). The fact that the experts on here recommend it is reason enough in itself, but also the cool purple color is SWEET. Makes checking oil-levels a breeze compared to some other dipstick-colored oils :cry: Also, I know its probably the power of suggestion, but my bike seems to run smoother and shift cleaner after I made the switch. :cry:

Bronco...might that be a little heavy for my use here in Montana? They make a 10W40 don't they? I've always used the 10W40 Suzuki oil 'cause it's all I can get locally...well if you call 150 miles away locally I guess. Yeah, we got UPS up here but they get lost every once in a while... :cry:

Bronco...might that be a little heavy for my use here in Montana? They make a 10W40 don't they? I've always used the 10W40 Suzuki oil 'cause it's all I can get locally...well if you call 150 miles away locally I guess. Yeah, we got UPS up here but they get lost every once in a while... :cry:

Ya,, your in full blown winter season there,, 10w40 would be a better choice for now.... When the summer rolls around,, go back to the 15w50. As it is a fully Syn oil.. it's viscosity is not terribly effected by the cold,, nothing compared to dino oil of the same weight.

I don't like oil debets but................ I listened to Burned and Bronco and did the motor break-in and switched to full synthetic oils, I have always changed my oil alot but since running synthetic shifting is better, my oil is cleaner at change time, and my filters always looks new when replaced. It is so worth the few extra dollars to ensure a properly lubed motor and long clutch life. That said I love bel ray products but don't run there motor oil because it is a blend.

The weight #'s don't mean alot with full syn.

Thanks for the pointers! Now, if we can just get outta here before some motor-head posts his recommendation for Singer Sewing Machine oil! :cry:

Watch out Dr.ZZ, Bronc gets a little touchy on this subject :cry: I never got an answer to the question: Does wesson make a stripper's fakies slicker? Oh by the way, I use chevron supreme. Im going to go hide now. Mike in Modesto

Has anyone used Red Line synthetic? I have used it in all of my bikes in the past but I just wondered what others though. -Brian

Has anyone used Red Line synthetic? I have used it in all of my bikes in the past but I just wondered what others though. -Brian
What I use and love it.

Watch out Dr.ZZ, Bronc gets a little touchy on this subject :cry: I never got an answer to the question: Does wesson make a stripper's fakies slicker? Oh by the way, I use chevron supreme. Im going to go hide now. Mike in Modesto

:cry::cry::cry:

Thanks for the tech help.. :cry:

I'm going to do the bike's first oil change at 215 miles. Is this oil suggested for the "Break-In" period also?

HH

NO Use dino oil for the first few hundred miles (500 or so) That will allow the rings to fully seat.. Something Fully Syn oil may not do.

I heard its great to break in the bike with the Original oil for like 100 miles. Then do not use synthetic at first. Go with a regular oil again for a couple more hundred miles. Then go to a Semi Synthetic and after that full synthetic? Sounds like a good idea, but does it really do anything?? :cry:

Do u guys really think breaking in the bike the factory way is Less POWER?? I have read and seen soo many comparisions and they say Hold it wide from day one :cry::cry::cry: whats ur take on this?

Thanks for the help.

Richie

I heard its great to break in the bike with the Original oil for like 100 miles. Then do not use synthetic at first. Go with a regular oil again for a couple more hundred miles. Then go to a Semi Synthetic and after that full synthetic? Sounds like a good idea, but does it really do anything?? :cry:

Do u guys really think breaking in the bike the factory way is Less POWER?? I have read and seen soo many comparisions and they say Hold it wide from day one :cry::cry::cry: whats ur take on this?

Thanks for the help.

Richie

Use reg oil for 1st 500 mi or more.. then use a fully syn oil.

Break in Use it, dont use it.. Your choice. It works,,, has for many years,, and thousands of bikes.. Many in this forum .