Sign in to follow this  

enclosed trailers

im looking into getting an enclosed trailer 5x8 or 6x10 not sure yet. just wondering what kind of prices other guys may have paid and what kind of trailers you recommend. i can get an 05 5x8 Pace America for $1800,is that a good deal? thanks for any input :cry:

5x8 gets pretty clostrophobic. You can haul two big bikes in there, but it does require a bit of creativity to get the rest of the usual equipment in there with them. 6x 10 is a bit more roomier........ :cry:

I've got a 7x12 and its not big enough. I can fit 3 bikes and all the gear in there, but it still seems cramped.

I have a 5x8 Continental Cargo Enclosed that I pull behind my 01 Ford Ranger supercab 4x4 4.0 v6 auto w/ 4:10 gears. It pulls great and I love it. I got a smokin deal on mine, only paid $2000 for a $3000 trailer. I can haul 2 full size bikes + 1 mini in it with room for all my gear + chairs + ez-up canopy + lots of other stuff. It may not be neet in there but there is a lot of cubic area in a 5x8. And if you get creative there are places to mount shelves and such in there.

Photobucket is wiggin out right now otherwise I could put up some picts of mine. Maybe latter if I remember.

Things I would look for are:

Torsion axle (lower deck height)

3/8 (or thicker) plywood walls. Easier to attach things to them. Most come with 1/8" luan.

Roof Vent.

I ended up with some extra Stainless Steel and anodized aluminum goodies on mine. Adds a little bling bling to the package.

Ill try to get picts up latter.

------------------------------------

photobucket is working now. Here ya go.

pict #1

pict #2

pict #3

pict #4

pict #5

Ever see that reality show where a couple lives in a house too short to stand up in? Thats how I felt in my Wells 6x10 with a interior height of 5'6". Sold it and bought a 6x10 thats 6'1" inside. One bang on your head and you will be convinced that ceiling height is important. Also, 6x10 is the perfect size, big enough but not too big to haul just for the day. My buddy never wants to haul his 7x14 just for a day ride cause it is too big. My other buddy never wants to haul his 5x8 because its too cramped. I end up driving with my 6x10 thats just right.

Get the largest you can tow. You'll never say, I have to much room, I can't seem to get this trailer packed. If you go too small, get used to say the above.

I swear that some of you live in your trailers. I haul my bike with mine. That is it. How much room do you really need. Yes a big trailer is nice. But I get 16mpg towing my trailer at 80mph down the highway. Put a 6x12 behind my truck and watch that fall to 12mpg with a tailwind. Gas milage was a huge factor when I bought mine. My Ranger is my only means of transportation and gets driven a lot. I cant afford 10-12mpg that a full size would give me just so I can pull a big trailer. For me the small trailer is ideal.

You should see the looks I get at the track as I pack up to go. More than one person has walked up after watching me pack up wondering how I got all that stuff into that tiny little trailer.

I think my 6x10 is just about right, although I'd like to go bigger, when I pull it with my Cherokee, it's just the right size. If I had a large pick up, I might consider going bigger. Also, I've been told that a sheet of 8x10 plywood will not fit inside anything shorter than 10' long. As far as I know, the measurements are outside measurements not inside. I have a sheet of plywood with ATK bike shoes bolted to it and when I'm hauling bikes, I slide it in. When I want to use the trailer for something else, I simply pull the sheet of plywood out and the bike shoes come with it and are not in the way of anything else I'll be putting inside. I think you may have to own a couple of different trailers before you find the one that works just right for you. The price you mentioned seemed about right.

Thanks for all the input. 6x10 is the max i want to go because of parking in front of my house (3 vehicles already) so anything bigger would be a pain, and i have the worst yard in the world nowhere to pull a trailer into. Sounds to me like 1800 for the Pace America 5x8 is a pretty good deal, I might check it out.

My 6 X 10 Wells Cargo is great. I added a roof vent and the side vents to purge the inside air while I drive. I have it set up for three bikes and gear. I also lowered the axle five inches to give more ground clearance because I tow it behind a pickup/cabover camper rig with an extended hitch. Love it.

Hey, I know yall are talking about smaller trailers, but I know some of you have the 20 or 24 ft. trailers. I got a 28' but down to 18' ft's take some thick ply wood, (maybe 1 1/2) And stick bout 15 across the top into the walls. They gave to be cut to fit the width of your trailer. But this adds a big area to put your gear, and suitcases or what ever. They arn't on the floor or on the walls in the way. It's like a mini 2nd foor.