Help... Need Abdomen Protection (Spleen Injury Finally Healed)

I am at about 9 weeks now since my spleen/kidney laceration from cross rutting while heading to an uphill jump section... I am just about ready to head back out to the track and have begun working out regularly.

Does anyone know of any reasonable protection for the abdomen area just below the rib cage. I am a vet and use the Dianese armor jacket that has an integrated kidney belt (which won't be enough protection) and a somewhat small chest protector. I need a much better set up than this.

I must admit, I have a bit of trepidation about getting back on the track, but life just isn't the same without it!

Thanks in advance for the info on the spleen protection.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks wax808. You have a similar idea to what I was wearing however...

This is (a newer version of) what I was using when I crashed:

http://www.bikedock.com/posit/images/products/0000002585.jpg

The problem is that the coverage in the spleen area (just below the rib cage) is handled by the elastic kidney belt. That kidney belt may have saved my life, but now I REALLY need to get something that can more fully protect the area from another hit (which it/I can not take for quite some time).

There should be something out there that could do the job ...

Any more ideas???? I need to come up with something soon as I "NEED" to get back to the track.

Your help is truly appreciated !

Would nothing more than a large chest protector be what you're looking for? If I remember correctly mine goes down about 6 inches past the bottom of my rib cage (sternum area) and maybe coupled with a standard kidney belt would work?? If not that you may have to come up with some of your own creative ideas, Ace bandages around your concerned area, make yourself your own flak jacket, etc.

Thanks Xolotl and kx250kev.

I guess I will have to try to make up something, but I am a little nervous as my life may depend on it so R&D time is at a premium.

I would have thought something would be out there.

I will try to look at some of the conventional chest protectors versus

the Daniese http://www.dainese.be/en/moto/protectors/images/small/safety_jacket_wave2_629_grey_black_fr.jpg

which I currently use (or was using anyway).

BTW, kx250kev, this unit is not too bad as far as the heat aspect goes (considering all the protection) as the jacket portion is all made out of fairly wide spaced mesh. I have used mine for a few years and it has held up really well. The Dianese is really the top of the line as far as this type of jacket goes.

Yeah its cool that there are a bunch of different types of protective jackets out there for relatively cheap... the problem is that now you actually have to choose one.

I need something that I can use in the hot summer time while commuting... I usually use a Fieldsheer textile jacket that has elbow, forearm, shoulder, and upper back protection... for only 100 bucks in town it was a great deal, my buddy just got one on Ebay for 50. The only problem is the lack of chest and rib/kidney protection.

I tried on the sixsixone Assault... it looks like it is more for mountain biking... it would be very comfortable in the summertime but lacks any real hard armor besides the shoulders.

The new 2005 sixsixone Pressure Suit looks killer, finally they put in some hard chest protection but it is still lacking around the ribs and kidney.

I havent ordered the Icon yet.. I think I will this weekend though since it can be had for around 80 bucks.... it looks perfect to wear under a jacket ... and from what I see in the pictures it provides superior upper torso protection.. I will let you know more about it after I get it...