Sign in to follow this  

1985 Xr350r- Help?

Geeze, I'm stupid. I let my bone-stock (and totally dependable and sweet and wonderful and bullet proof and lovely and .....on and on) XR350 sit for two years without setting it up for storage. Yes, I know. STUPID! It was a brand new gift to me from my wife just after we got hitched- 20 freakin' years ago. The girl (the XR) was, and remained, soooo true to me that I vowed it would be the last dirt two wheeler I'd ever need.

Since I let it sit like that, I need to go through the carb and the suspension needs some attention (as in new). In trying to find the needed hardware, I have come to realize that 1985 was the last and best, apparently, year for the XR350R. Why? Don't know. I just rode it all the time (easy to moderate dirt) and didn't need to do anything but oil changes every year so I didn't keep up with what Honda was doing. Hell, it's only on its third spark plug! I'd say she (the XR) has been as faithful as her (the wife)!

Hmmmm. Wonder what would happen if I locked the ole lady in the garage for two years? Reckon her shocks would sag? Leaky top end? Crud up her carb? Need a hotter plug? Hmmm.

I'll not flatter myself. Mine plug is cold for all others.

Anyway, I need new suspenders on both ends and carb gaskets and I might want to send the top end off for some re-hab.

Like I said, 1985 was a good year but it was 7,300 days ago. Anybody know who I can contact for the stuff I need?

1985 XR350R. She's a sweet old girl. It aint a money or value thing. It's about love.

Help?

Sincerely,

Stupid TT Neo

Needs new suspension from sitting for 2 years huh? :cry: (gonna try that one on MY wife!) :cry:

I too have an 85 350, but I've had mine for about 20 days! I'm loving it already and I don't even have my seat yet! (long story, being shipped, new foam and cover).

I had 250's from that time and a couple of 600's. Think the 350 hits just the right size for me. (at least until I actually ride a 400).

I'm having lots of fun finding parts and buying riding gear and such. And I haven't even ridden yet! :cry:

I was told that the suspension was sent to XR's ony, but they don't list 350's on the service menu. hmm

Mine has a lot of new parts and work done on it. Still needs some stuff though. What does your's use to hold the rear shock resevoir? Mine's on with zip ties now. Need a heat shield for the header pipe and an exhaust baffle.

A guy on ebay has IMS Pro footpegs, the wide ones that nobody else makes for this bike.

Thanks for getting back to me!

I hate to tell you this, but the '85 XR350 is the PERFECT bike.....

....for a comparative old fart who's tired of two stroke power bands and crotch rocket thumper 400+ bikes. 250's are too slow for this 20% body fat (?) 225 pounder and my old XR will still blow the snot off most much younger stock DR350's. It's the perfect blend for soft, controllable and extended wheelies. Nice and predictable. For twenty years now (and after a lifetime of Euro 2 strokers), it's NEVER let me down. Lot's of low end grunt and plenty fast enough.

I can't remember what affixes the the shock res to the frame. Will look and take a pic (I'll send it if I can figger out how to to do that). I need a baffle too. Would like a stock one if I could find that as everything on my bike is what Honda had on it in 1985. Mine got bent (Gee, how'd that happen?) and the tire rubbed a hole in it. Will re-bend and weld if I have to.

XR's Only. Thanks. I'll try that.

Thanks!

However, you speak with a 45 year old who's a redneck and stuck in the 'eighties. How would a feller hook up with Corky? I reckon you go to the members list and see if he can be reached via e-mail? Will try.

Would die to know of a website dedicated to the venerable '85 XR350.

This is a great forum!

Thanks for getting back to me!

I hate to tell you this, but the '85 XR350 is the PERFECT bike.....

....for a comparative old fart who's tired of two stroke power bands and crotch rocket thumper 400+ bikes. 250's are too slow for this 20% body fat (?) 225 pounder and my old XR will still blow the snot off most much younger stock DR350's. It's the perfect blend for soft, controllable and extended wheelies. Nice and predictable. For twenty years now (and after a lifetime of Euro 2 strokers), it's NEVER let me down. Lot's of low end grunt and plenty fast enough.

I can't remember what affixes the the shock res to the frame. Will look and take a pic (I'll send it if I can figger out how to to do that). I need a baffle too. Would like a stock one if I could find that as everything on my bike is what Honda had on it in 1985. Mine got bent (Gee, how'd that happen?) and the tire rubbed a hole in it. Will re-bend and weld if I have to.

XR's Only. Thanks. I'll try that.

Hey I found a place with baffles! Still looking for one? Yeh I know, LONG time ago. :)