Sign in to follow this  

Motorcyle Budget

I just sat down and went through my receipts for bikes and parts only that I've purchased over the last 15 months (15 months ago I purchased my new bike so I started there). I have nothing on credit and all bikes are paid off. I'm not racing or traveling to ride. Just trail riding I averaged out what it has cost my family per month for the last 15 months. My average monthly outlay for trail riding is $1,135.00 per month not including gas and anything I've paid cash to purchase. I wonder what that comes out to in $ per mile?

Try racing and then do the math. :cry: I have 2 race bikes (roadracing) and it costs me around $1,000 a weekend to race (if I just run one of them). If I run both it would be another $400 or $500 for tires and entry fees. That doesn't count the cost of the machines, parts, etc. As was said above, I don't do the math (and I dang sure don't tell my wife how much it costs).

It looks like you used the purchase price of the new bike in those figures (unless you've added a LOT of accessories and/or repairs. The bike is actually a depreciating asset and only the depreciation is an actual expense since you will be able to sell it and recoup a portion of its cost.

(Yes, i know its an actual expense to buy a bike as my username implies) but it's not as bad as you think.

BTW, here you can rent a bike for about 300 bucks a day . Is that a better option? :cry: <-- me.

I refuse to do the math! :cry:

What he said. I don't want to know either.

I just sat down and went through my receipts for bikes and parts only that I've purchased over the last 15 months (15 months ago I purchased my new bike so I started there). I have nothing on credit and all bikes are paid off. I'm not racing or traveling to ride. Just trail riding I averaged out what it has cost my family per month for the last 15 months. My average monthly outlay for trail riding is $1,135.00 per month not including gas and anything I've paid cash to purchase. I wonder what that comes out to in $ per mile?

Well, avg. new bike price @ $5k.

If you bought a DS (as I did - KLR 650) and can commute - well that saves on gas. You shouldn't have to pay for parking - so there is another savings. Weekend/vacation riding only - well that is a whole new ballgame.

I go through about 2-3 tanks per month with avg. maintenance.

How about $/hr???

My case again, a good $1400 or so for safety gear. Worth every penny by the way!!!

Insurance - pretty much nothing.

I think I'm starting to cry now... :cry::cry:

Worst part is, in MN you get to ride about 7 mo. out of the year.

Sure do the math on that one... :cry::cry::cry:

It looks like you used the purchase price of the new bike in those figures (unless you've added a LOT of accessories and/or repairs. The bike is actually a depreciating asset and only the depreciation is an actual expense since you will be able to sell it and recoup a portion of its cost.

(Yes, i know its an actual expense to buy a bike as my username implies) but it's not as bad as you think.

BTW, here you can rent a bike for about 300 bucks a day . Is that a better option? :cry: <-- me.

Exactly. Keep the bike another year, and the cost per ride wil drop considerably. Trail riding doesn't come close to racing expenses.

My wife sat down last year and tried to tally our motocross racing expenditures since 1998. When she hit $50,000, she stopped, and I still don't know what year she got to.

We have purchased 11 bikes since 1998, boy does it add up.......:cry:

Never mind racing and riding look at how much guys spend to get laid! I bet ya riding gets really cheap. When you trade in your old bike no one makes you pay for its gas, shelter and shiny new parts. :cry: MIKE

Exactly. Keep the bike another year, and the cost per ride wil drop considerably. Trail riding doesn't come close to racing expenses.

My wife sat down last year and tried to tally our motocross racing expenditures since 1998. When she hit $50,000, she stopped, and I still don't know what year she got to.

We have purchased 11 bikes since 1998, boy does it add up.......:cry:

I'm looking at purchasing a trials bike this year, a big bore kit/cam/clutch for the XR250, a few more adds for the TTR125 etc. I'm not seeing the cost per ride dropping. I also disagree with using depreciation instead of actual cost paid for the bike because my figures took into account deductions for the bikes I have sold. I've purchased 8 bikes and a Blaster in the last 15 months. I'm getting dizzy.

I refuse to do the math! :cry:

Wifey was on TT last night,, and went in to my garage... I got the "I did not know you spent that much on just YOUR bike?" Truth is,, I did not,, some things were given to me, some I bought used, some I traded for, and I sold some other items to defray costs.. But with three bikes in the garage,, and a ride most every weekend.. add in I like to build, play, fabricate my toys...... I'm not doing the computations .... :cry: For a bottom line number

I spend about $500 to $600 per month, which includes depreciation on my 04 CRF 450. This also includes approximately 3-5 races per year and all associated travel expenses. I don't spend much on bike mods, but I go through about two sets of riding gear and about 8-10 tires in a year. Lucky for me, the Lakewood National MX track is only three miles from home. Regardless of what anyone says about thumpers, my maintenance costs have been much lower with my last two 450s compared to my six previous 250 smokers.

Let's call it $6,000 per year divided by 100 hours of riding = $60 per hour :cry:

I'm looking at purchasing a trials bike this year, a big bore kit/cam/clutch for the XR250, a few more adds for the TTR125 etc. I'm not seeing the cost per ride dropping. I also disagree with using depreciation instead of actual cost paid for the bike because my figures took into account deductions for the bikes I have sold. I've purchased 8 bikes and a Blaster in the last 15 months. I'm getting dizzy.

Dizzy is when you spend 4 grand on a 50cc motorcrosser........ :cry:

Motorcycles are all about fun, in MXJunkys opinion. That's where the catch 22 will get you! It's no fun when your bike keeps breakin', or when your suspension has the same damping effects as a pair of marshmallows! MXJunky doesn't have enough fingers to do the motorcycle math game!

I was going to go through the work of trying to add everything up after last season. Then, I decided I didn't really care. You can't put a price on happiness. And that's what racing every weekend brings me. :cry:

I couldnt imagine my life without motorcycles in it ya know??

Im mean thats my life, its what I think and talk about, it what I plan what I do around.

Personally, I dont know what I would do without Motocross!! :cry:

I was going to go through the work of trying to add everything up after last season. Then, I decided I didn't really care. You can't put a price on happiness. And that's what racing every weekend brings me. :cry:

I agree wholeheartedly. I used to race remote controlled cars, every weekend, no exceptions. I could have purchased more than two CRF's for the money I spent on toy cars.

And you know what? I don't care. At the time, it made me happy as anything else. My new hobby is my dirt bike, with a little nitro monster truckin' thrown in. I don't race yet, but someday maybe I'll have the skills.

I just know the grin that's on my face as I'm riding trails around Northern California. I don't care about the money then, in fact, I don't care about anything, except the trails left to explore before the sunlight expires!

If you worry about the money you're spending, maybe you should be doing something else. Just like a woman, if you're enjoying the time spent, the money isn't an issue.

My $.02, and then some.

dirt bikes are the cheapest motorsports...look at what the 4 wheel crowd shells out....

there was a guy at the Dakar Rally who budgeted $1 million....and only got to day 6....$160,000/day? $6500/ hour? Thats over $100 per minute of off roading.

Try owning an airplane. My last plane I spent a grand a month on fuel alone and it was single-engine!

-r0b-