Sign in to follow this  

From Blue to Red - Picked up my 250x on Sat!!

So far I've only been able to zip up and down the street for awhile, but I must say I like the power delivery of this bike. It wheelies like "butter"!! I never did get comfortable lifting the front end up on my DR-Z, but with this bike the front seems to come up smoothly and very controllable with a nice throttle twist. I think I'm gonna love it!!! :cry: Can't wait to get her out into the dirt.

-Mike

I went from blue to red this weekend as well. I went from a 2002 yamaha 250f to a 2005 crf 250. I am very happy with my choice, I love the bike.

Cool! Congrats your new bike.

I guess my blue to red switch could be misleading... I had a blue DR-Z400 instead of the typical Suzuki yellow :cry:

-Mike

I'm sure you've read this before, but just for completeness, check out a break-in procedure that many have success with. Enjoy!

i switched from a YZ250 to a CRF250R yesterday. Can't say much though cause its way to cold to try the new bike out. That site about breaking in the motor is very interesting. I think ill try it, but it doesn't feel right.

i switched from a YZ250 to a CRF250R yesterday. Can't say much though cause its way to cold to try the new bike out. That site about breaking in the motor is very interesting. I think ill try it, but it doesn't feel right.

Here are my break-in notes and as of 380 miles, all is running well and I have zero detectable oil useage...... :cry:

:cry: Hay great to hear your riding red now. Just be careful not to hit one of those blue thingies clustering the trails.

i must say its great to here the crf lovers loving there new bikes. but i must ask, you guys weren't worried about the valvle trouble those bikes "have". just wondering because i'll look for a crf250 instead of a wr or yzf if its accually not a problem. any reply would be awesome, and even though your probably hard core honda guys, what do you think of the yamaha 250's.

thanks

:)

i must say its great to here the crf lovers loving there new bikes. but i must ask, you guys weren't worried about the valvle trouble those bikes "have". just wondering because i'll look for a crf250 instead of a wr or yzf if its accually not a problem. any reply would be awesome, and even though your probably hard core honda guys, what do you think of the yamaha 250's.

thanks

:)

GIVE IT UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Most people will take a valve problem for performance.

but i must ask, you guys weren't worried about the valvle trouble those bikes "have".

No. I have tools and I like to maintain my bikes. Not to flame, but do you suppose that the big time racers/teams just hose their bikes off and put 'em in the trailer and head for the next town for next weeks race w/o taking even a little peek inside????

No. I have tools and I like to maintain my bikes. Not to flame, but do you suppose that the big time racers/teams just hose their bikes off and put 'em in the trailer and head for the next town for next weeks race w/o taking even a little peek inside????

Nuff Said! Amen!

How about those who dont race, but dont like to open there motor after every ride neither? :)

How about those who dont race, but dont like to open there motor after every ride neither? :)

I change my oil maybe every three to four rides. Checking your valves takes maybe 45 minutes (if you're slow like me). It's not as hard as some people make it out to be. Compared to how great the bike performs, it's well worth it.

I race very little, but I ride a lot (MX 2-3 days a week) during the season. My 450 had well over 100 hours before I did a top end and about 100 when I reshimmed the valves for the first time.

The folks that read stuff on the net that discourages them from buying red ought to simply buy blue, close their pieholes and ride. :)

I have no problem w/ the blue bikes, but the red bikes look better IMO so that's what I ride. If they require more wrenching, so be it. It actually forces you/me to keep our bikes in better operating condition generally speaking.

I have nothing against the maintenence, I just dont like the idea of spending a lot of money into to top end parts. :) I'm 17 and only have a part thine job you know. And my wallet tell me not to gamble with an engine. :)

My 450 had well over 100 hours before I did a top end and about 100 when I reshimmed the valves for the first time.

You're talking about a 450 though. I don't think there are any concerns over the valves with the 450s. Its the 250s that are concerning people. :)

You're talking about a 450 though. I don't think there are any concerns over the valves with the 450s. Its the 250s that are concerning people. :)

Go spend some time in the 450 forum. If I said that Honda was giving $7000.00 cash back on the purchase of any new 250 or 450, people reading it on the internet would believe it. :)

I expect that I'll maintain my 250 regularly and if maintaining means periodic adjustments, then that's what it means. I wish everyone would sit on the fence and not buy bikes because they were worried - would make for a lot fewer riders on the track.

Even if I ''jump the fence'', I wont be in your way because I wont race that ''side of the fence''. :):)