Sign in to follow this  

OR titled bikes...give me the lowdown.

I want to get plates for a WR and hear OR is the easiest place to do so. Can it be done if I do not live in OR? I do not mind 'saying' I do just to get the title, then transfer it but I am unclear if I can buy a bike from, let's say, WA (where the title says for off road use only) then get an OR title...I mean does the whole off-road thing just disappear or do I have to buy a bike that originally does not have the off-road declaration?

I eventually want to import it home to BC, but if I can have the bike street titled before I import it, I can get plates right away whereas if I import it as an off road bike it can take long time to get plates.

Any advice, help, etc would be appreciated. And if you know of a good OR classifieds website I can check for bikes, post up!

Thanks!

Bradley

Neither of my KDX or the KTM titles are marked "off road only". I took the KTM title in and got a plate no questions asked. If you buy a bike in WA and register in in OR they will want to inspect the VIN number which means they will see that it is a dirt bike.

You will need an Oregon address to register a vehicle here, it has to be real because that is where they will send the title. Also, beware the DMV is on the lookout for WA residents attempting to register their car here.

IMHO, you are best off buying an already plated bike or asking an Oregon seller to plate it for you when you buy it.

MXJunky has a WA drivers liscense and an OR plated DRZ. Here's the catch, MXJunkys girlfriend owns a house in OR.

Yes, the inspection is a no brainer, they look at the VIN to make sure it isn't stolen.