Sign in to follow this  

Town is considering a ban on off-roading

http://www.vvdailypress.com/2005/110778609179026.html

Monday, February 7, 2005

Off-roaders may be told to ... get out of town

Residents who don't like off-roading noise may get their wish as council members will consider ban from residential neighborhoods

John Galayda / Staff Photographer

An off-roader drives along a trail off Dale Evans Parkway in Apple Valley on Saturday. The town is considering a ban on off-roading.

By LEROY STANDISH/Staff Writer

Off-road vehicle enthusiasts who enjoy riding on their own property may soon be forced out of town to ride.

Following the lead of recent restrictions enacted by Hesperia, the Apple Valley Town Council is considering an ordinance to ban off-road vehicles from residential neighborhoods.

Town staff has been gathering information for the last month as a prelude to drafting an ordinance that will be presented to the Town Council on Tuesday night.

"They should ban motocross tracks in residential areas," said Apple Valley resident Bernadette McNulty. "You have to put this noisy stuff where it is not going to disturb people, and as the population increases you have to put these people further and further out."

Motorcycle riders say those who don't like the sounds of motorcycles need to go elsewhere.

"The people that want the peace and quiet need to move out a little further," said Clark Jones, a former professional rider and owner of Noleen J6 Technologies in Apple Valley. "It amazes me how one or two people complaining can get something like this closed down."

Jones and other off-road-vehicle riders say they moved to the desert so they could be close to their hobby. Others who move here for the serenity should be aware of the popularity of the sport and should spend time finding out what a neighborhood is like before going and buying a home, he said.

"The people that move out to where they do have more acreage, they need to have their eyes open when they move out there and see what is going on out there before they move in," Jones said. "It is not that they don't know that (dirt bike riding) is going on. I believe they feel that they can just change it."

Tony Alessi, a resident of Apple Valley, said he has already fallen victim to new neighbors complaining of an existing lifestyle. Alessi's two sons, 15- and 16-years-old, are competitive riders who are used to using their back yard for practice. Now the family has to travel far to practice their sport.

"I had 11 acres and we had a track there and they made us tear it down," Alessi said. "I spent like $10,000 on the track too. I was a little disappointed for sure, but we obey the laws. Code enforcement said we had to take it down.

"We have tracks kind of burned into the desert far, far away. We drive 20 miles back into the desert. We haven't had any problems, but it sure is a lot cheaper to do it right there by the house and a lot nicer."

And a lot more of a nuisance to your neighbors, McNulty said.

"You are intruding on the privacy and sanctity of people's homes," she said. "I don't want to live next to them. I don't want them decreasing my property value."

The Town Council has yet to take action, but council members are beginning to form opinions on the issue.

"I don't think people in Apple Valley want to see a bunch of miniature motocross parks," said Councilman Mark Shoup. "If we have the authority to regulate the use of off-road vehicles on private property then we need to examine whether that is a good idea. I think it is."

Councilman Tim Jasper asked staff to begin gathering information for a possible ordinance, possibly similar to one recently approved in Hesperia.

Passed in August, the Hesperia ordinance prohibits off-road vehicles in back yards of less than 40 acres, prohibits off-road vehicle use within 200 yards of an occupied residence and establishes a $1,000 fine for violators.

"We need to do something, but what that something is I don't know at this point," Jasper said. "How do we take it and make it the best for everybody?"

LeRoy Standish may be reached at 951-6277 or leroy_standish@link.freedom.com.

...they might as well ban motorcycles on the street, loud cars, lawn mowers, weed wackers, leaf blows, and chainsaws while they at it... :cry:

i like this sticker i have on my bike..."if its too loud, you're too old" :cry:

:cry: glad i live in the middle of no where :cry:

i still try to have some sense with my neighbors though, try not to be really loud when they are home. :cry:

That reeaaally sucks a$$, people on power trips,Tryng to control everything..

Why don't they shut down airplanes,and all other modes of transportation :cry:

I did a search on the lady that is complaining in the article, she is a 60 year old meddler. She also has problems with the roads in Apple Valley and a few other issues. If Apple Valley is that bad, maybe she should move.

Wow! They aren't talking about people riding around on tiny little lots in subdivisions. You have to have at least 40 acres :cry: I think that is just ridiculous. I hope the riding people can ban together and outnumber the complainers. That just totally bites :cry:

I would never tear down my track if i had put money into it!! If i bought the land i will do whatever i please...they would have to get the feds in there to stop me....glad i live where none of this nonsense happens. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I would never tear down my track if i had put money into it!! If i bought the land i will do whatever i please...they would have to get the feds in there to stop me....glad i live where none of this nonsense happens. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

I would bet he built it without checking the building codes first.

Well I guess noise is an issue even though those with 103 db pipes say it's not. "I like my pipe it sounds cool" now you can drive hours to enjoy it dumbass :cry:

On another note just because the town council makes a law or ordinance does not mean it is legal. With the assistance of lawyers or a group like the BLUE RIBBIN COALITION something like this may get thrown out. :cry:

Its time dirtbikers stop acting like idiots and get smart :cry: , if we don't we won't have many places to ride.

One good thing out of all this is that the smack talking Alesis's :cry: got shut down, talk about karma. :cry:

Time to break out the old chevy that has an exhaust so loud it will blow the windows out of houses when rapped up. Oh yeah and its street legal. Or maybe break out the harley with the ear piercing exhaust and let it warm-up every morning at 3am so you can ride it to work. With the exhaust pointed at the person who complains.

They think off-roaders are the problem. Well i'm going to mak everyone the problem. :cry: As in every one that opperates a motor vehicle. Then what are they going to bitch about. People need transportation and they need to cut there lawns. :cry:

http://www.vvdailypress.com/2005/110778609179026.html

Monday, February 7, 2005

"They should ban motocross tracks in residential areas," said Apple Valley resident Bernadette McNulty. "You have to put this noisy stuff where it is not going to disturb people, and as the population increases you have to put these people further and further out."

leroy_standish@link.freedom.com.

Wow, "put these people further and further out" eh? I guess we are the Native Americans and they are the invading Europeans it seems? That statement really pisses off..... move further and further out

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Ya know I dont like excessive noise either but to ban off road vehicles compleatly seems a bit excessive and one sided. Who was there first the people with the moto cross track or the old bitty? She should have moved into a master planned community or somthing. Its good to be a good neighbor and keep the bike reasonably quiet but if their answer is just to ban the vehicles compleatly whats next the lawn mower weed wacker, backyard weddings and birthday parties? Heck everything makes noise. I could understand her asking if the bikes could be quieted down and not to be run real early in the morning or real late at night but on outright ban seems outragious. Mabey they should turn their former track into a shooting range? :cry:

the reasonable law should be:

no off-roading before 9 am or after 6 pm

sound limits of 96 dcb.

no off roading within 100 yards of another persons house.

the reasonable law should be:

no off-roading before 9 am or after 6 pm

sound limits of 96 dcb.

no off roading within 100 yards of another persons house.

You give them an inch and they will take a mile...

at almost every race i tell some jack ass on a CRF50 who just HAS TO show off his ability to wheelie a mini bike in front of everyone:

"stop kicking up the dust and slow down around the little kids before someone gets hurt"

its no different with the home owners. lots of off-roaders are abusive and bring on the land closures, irritated neighbors, and locked gates upon themselves.

Loud bikes, cutting down local brush for fires, riding off trails, loud partying all night in family camp grounds, riding to fast in crowded areas, kicking up dust near houses or roads, speeding past horse riders, etc. etc. etc....you know exactly what i mean....

I wouldnt want to buy a place in the country and then have some jack ass next door cause a ruckus every night throwing a homosexual dance party. it would drive me nuts.

if you are a horse person, or a dog breeder/trainer, or a rancher, or a 'peace and quiet' meditative type--you would hate having loud MX bikes next door just as much as i would hate a bag of mixed nuts for neighbors...

I am all for reasonable regulations. And totally against banning a persons use of his own property as he/she feels fit--so long as it doesnt infringe on anyone else. Dont tread on me!

much as i hate to say it but the Alessi's may have ruined it for everyone else if this is why this was brought forward for proposal. I can only imagine how much they were riding on their off days and probably with more than 5 bikes going at a time if they had friends over. Nobodies land should be shut down but from what i've heard the Alessi's have a way of pissing people off and they probably pissed off their neighbors who wouldn't have complained if they had agreed to some neighborly time restrictions. I am also assuming that Alessi's bikes are not restricted for sound being that they are sponsored semi-pro. People riding in their backyard is cool. Having a mini-national in the backyard everyday is not cool.

I am almost willing to bet this is in california... am I right? that is the most unconstitutional thing I've even heared of.. $#!t like that would never fly in utah... and what boggles my mind is these people still continue to vote straight ticket democrat, :cry: making it possible for stupid $#!t like this to even take place in the first place... I can't imagine how this even made it past the first part of legislation... :cry:

I'm glad that I don't have to worry about this kind of thing where I live. On the other hand, the environmentalists are getting a lot of traditional mining roads and trails shut down in the mountains :cry:

If I lived next to that woman, I think I would use my Charger as my daily commuter. A set of Flowmasters on a 440 would make a nice early morning wakeup call. Might also turn my XR600 into a super motard and use it for all my neighborhood commuting.

Nonsense like this is not limited to California. People moved next to Raceway Park which has been there since the early 60's and complain about noise.

I don't doubt that the Alessi's were rotten neighbors though. Who would want to hear bikes going 7 days a week?

I think if this happened to me, and I knew who the neighbors were that were complaining, I'd go out every night and morning with all my gas powered tools(lawn mower/chainsaw/weed whacker) top them off and let them run for the hell of it. There are ways of playing dirty. Hell, maybe recording it and playing the sound on speakers to appear that you are doing yard work would be better. SCREW THESE LOSERS! :cry:

Here in CT my town tried the same thing. It was an outright ban. It was basically written that ATV and DIRTBIKE use is NOT ALLOWED in a residential zone. It didn't matter if you have 1 or 100 acres they were going to ban riding. The Zoning board ending up pushing it off to another board and we haven't heard about it since. It will be back.