Sign in to follow this  

MotoX Jerseys - Style over Function?

So I'm just getting into dirt riding, after only riding and racing on the pavement for years... and looking at the gear for off-roading it seems to be alot of style and very little protection. Is this true? or is there something about the thin, flimsy motocross jerseys that I'm missing?

Some of the pants seem like they would give you some pretty good abrasion protection should you hit the ground. But the jerseys? Feels to me like a good heavy flannel shirt might do more for ya.

Am I missing something?

Am I just looking for too much protection? (coming from the world where a full one peice leather suit is the standard)

Is the dirt just not that abrasive when you fall?

Are you "supposed" to wear something else over the top of the jersey to protect you? A chest protector? (even these look loke they would rip off in a serious fall).

are the crashes on the dirt of such a radiacally different dynamic that you dont have to worry about sliding along the ground?

all serious qestions. Not trying to stir the pot .

Heck, the way I look at it, I'm getting ready to wear my Vanson full perf leather jacket when I ride on the dirt. I dont care if it makes me look like a dork (well, that wouldnt be tooo hard to do :cry:).

The design is for cool air. Riding with a leather jacket in FL will drain you in a hurry! Much less, any state in the summer. Be a man, face the facts. I rather have a cool breeze than suffocate. This isn't roadracing, I sweat enough in my race roadrace suit, imagine what you'd do with MotoX

yeah, the jerseys are made more to allow cooling. plus in the dirt you generally don't slide like you would on pavement. with all the jumping, rocks, trees, etc you need more protection from impacts rather than sliding.

yeah, the jerseys are made more to allow cooling. plus in the dirt you generally don't slide like you would on pavement. with all the jumping, rocks, trees, etc you need more protection from impacts rather than sliding.

:cry::cry: Yep, no runoffs on an mx track! :cry:

Most MX jerseys have elbow padding in them, and are also made to allow maximum movement and, as stated above, venting.

Edit: Regarding chestprotectors, MXJunky has had plenty of gnarly get-offs while wearing a chestprotector, never has the protector come off (including several instances where MXJunky has sustained broken bones).

Not only do they breathe better, but they wick the sweat away too. They are more tear and stain resistant than cotton, and they offer better sun, wind and roost protection than a t-shirt.

The chest protector will minimize the damage to you from that flying golf ball sized rock the rider in front of you just kicked up, and the chest protector will keep that stiff branch from going into your stomach.

There is also knee/shin guards, knee braces, and elbow guards. The idea is to encapsulate yourself with shields of plastic. :cry:

The jersey is for ventilation and not much else. You will get too hot wearing a flannel shirt or leathers. :cry:

choptop,

Unlike the perforated jerseys of many years ago, the modern ones have a very tight weave but still leave enough space to let plenty of cool air inside while keeping most of the dirt outside. The elbow pads are minimal protection at best...more for show than anything else IMO.

For protection, check out sixsixone.com for their Pressure Suit and rockgardn.com (no "e" in gardn) for their Flak Jacket. I've got the Flak Jacket and it offers an incredible amount of protection. I was worried about it being hot, especially worn under the jersey, but that wasn't the case at all. I wore it for the first time last Sunday on a 4 hour trail ride in 90+ weather, and the only time I felt even warm was when we stopped. Even then, if there was even the slightest breeze, I was cool. It was also a snug fit (I guess it is supposed to be), but as soon as I got on the bike, I totally forgot about it.

I just got back into dirt biking a few months ago after a 20+ year layoff (street sportbikes only during the time). I have a set of custom-made leathers with full CE armor in the back, shoulders, elbow/forearm, hips, and knees and feel just as protected with the Flak Jacket and a set of Thor Force knee guards.

Cheers,

Mac