Sign in to follow this  

rear wheel spindle

Probably a daft question,but from which side does the rear spindle go through from?On mine since it goes from the disc side with the nut on the sproket side,it was like this when i bought it so i have always put it back this way.Looking at other DRZ`s,and in the manual,it shows the spindle with the nut on the disc side of the wheel.Which way is correct and does it make any difference anyway,as long as the wheel is correctly lined up,which mine is,surely it should`nt matter.Any info? Cheers.

Andy. UK

The nut goes on the DISC side.....I don't know if it really makes a difference, but I sure wouldn't ride around with it in backwards.....People will say that you don't know which side you nuts go on.... :cry::cry:

Little joke there, but I would put it in the right way.....

As designed,, it goes from left to right..

But sitting here at work,,,, :cry::cry: The only difference I can think of left to right, or right to left,, would be the orientation of the adjuster.. On the left the fixed adjuster curls one way,, if you were to install the axle from right to left,, it would curl around the other way.. Unless it hit or interfered in some why,, I doubt it makes a difference...

:devil::thinking::devil: OK,, one other thing,, but ya would have to be an ME to prove it one way or another,,,,,, I suppose,, clamp load by the fastener (axle) may be different fixed end vs nut.. and it may be designed to go with one side or the other on the drive side of the wheel. :cry::D:cry::cry:

IOW,, I have no frigging clue..... but figure,,if you put it back the way it was designed,, ya have a better then 50/50 chance of it being right.. :D

:cry::thinking::cry: OK,, one other thing,, but ya would have to be an ME to prove it one way or another,,,,,, I suppose,, clamp load by the fastener (axle) may be different fixed end vs nut.. and it may be designed to go with one side or the other on the drive side of the wheel. :cry::devil::D:D

I've got a degree in ME so I'll take a stab at it. Not that I'm positive I know what I'm talking about :cry: The clamp load will be the same on both ends, the axle has the same amount of tension on both ends. The only way the friction (clamping force) keeping the wheel from sliding would be different is if the cams were different sizes i.e one of the cams had some metal ground off the edge opposite the detents. I can't remember from the times I have had the wheel off if the cams are marked on both sides, not that it matters you could just count the detents.

Personally, I put the nut on the disc side. It keeps the cams sticking up above the swingarm with the 14/49 gearing on my dirt wheels (not that I think they would get hit but you never know).

Main thing is to torque it correctly. I bought mine used and as soon as I got it home I went for a ride without checking any of the torques. Dumb I know but I had never ridden a bike with SM wheels before :devil: Came back from a 20 mile ride with one cam on 4.5, the other on 5. They were both on 4.5 when I started out. After taking out the cotter pin it only took 1/4 turn with a socket to get the nut loose enough to remove with my fingers :cry:

The only way the friction (clamping force) keeping the wheel from sliding would be different is if the cams were different sizes i.e one of the cams had some metal ground off the edge opposite the detents. I can't remember from the times I have had the wheel off if the cams are marked on both sides, not that it matters you could just count the detents.

Well,, tboth adjusters (cams) are relieved for the detent.. BUT,, the one (left side..ie non nut) is fixed to the axle(fastener),, While the other is free to rotate. :cry:

Still not sure it makes a difference.. So there ya go,,,put your nuts where you think best,,,and go ride :cry:

Well,, tboth adjusters (cams) are relieved for the detent.. BUT,, the one (left side..ie non nut) is fixed to the axle(fastener),, While the other is free to rotate. :cry:

Still not sure it makes a difference.. So there ya go,,,put your nuts where you think best,,,and go ride :cry:

I agree, I don't think it makes a difference either.:cry: Both adjusters could be free to rotate (not welded to the axle) and the clamping force would still be the same. What I was trying to say was if you drilled some more holes in one adjuster but not both to lighten it or ground some off of the edge of one opposite the detents you might get a different clamping force. Only because less total area of adjuster against the swingarm would give less clamping force, but not enough to worry about. The adjuster is cut out of a flat plate and can flex. Most of the force is directly behind/under the head of the bolt and the nut.

Anyhoo, IMHO these snail cam adjusters stink. I would like to have the swingarm off the '05 DRZ SM just to get the axle blocks but I'm sure that will cost $700-$800 or more. :cry:

Way way back in the mid 70s I decided for some reason to put the rear axle in the other way on my 70 SL100. Got it torqued down just aas much as always and took it for a ride. About 3 feet from the top of a very tall, veryvery steep hill the axle slipped and the chain derailed. I hit the ground hard 47.2937614 times before I got to the bottom. I haven't tried that little experiment again. :cry: