Sign in to follow this  

What should I do... convert my DRZ or trade it in?

I have a 2004 DRZ400s. I want to convert it to a Moto since I use it as a commuter bike.

Would it just be cheaper to sell or trade in mine and get a DRZ400SM? I only have 1600 miles on mine and it still looks brand new.

Hmmmmm. Kelly blue book has mine at 4500 bucks for resale value. I paid 5200 bucks last june.

Oh man, you already be knowin what my opinion is Wax hehe. :cry: With out the shop (or space) and no prior mechanical know-how of those type of major swaps, I would suggest getting the factory one. :cry: Eliminate the "project" brain-aches! That way, when you do get the space to seriously work on your bike, you can more easily do upgrades/swaps form the readied platform of the SM. :cry: Furthermore, the little amount of dirt or dirt roads even you see with your current DRZ, you won't miss it that much.. plus you can get a lil' 125 for kickin around the dirt the way you know you want to with the $$ you should be able to save! Not to mention, you can always ride my bikes. Don't get me wrong, I am ALL for ppl doing projects, I love it... but as your friend, that is MHO on this scheme Wax :cry:

4500 for "RESALE".....not trade in!.....just a key point to nudge you about to think of....

also....how many SM's will be available...some dealers have a waiting list...some don't know what they are gonna do with em....and so with that in mind...you may want to check with your local dealer(s) and see if they have perspective customers lined up for them or not....that evil law of supply versus demand can be a killer!

Zooom's got a good point. Check availability in your area. You may end up taking quite a hit on the trade. I'd think about how much time and ability you have to make the swap. How much dirt does your current bike see. I personally loved the process, which continues to date :cry: , and love the fact that in as little as 15 minutes it's back to dirt setup and ready to rock! On the other hand, if you're just commuting and never see the dirt, the Black ones are HOT! :cry::cry::cry::cry:

My current DRZ sees almost no dirt... I've decided to get a different bike to tinker with and one that I can ride hard and not worry about it.

Of course we do go riding in the summer quite a bit on fire roads so being able to swap would be really cool.

So tell me more about your setup Aspencop... how do you work the rotors and all that in the swap? I would love to be able to switch back and forth.... And having a blue and white DRZSM would be sweet.... everyone would know I did it myself.

I have both sets of wheels for mine. Swapping over takes about 20 minutes. The wheels are a straight swap and the only "extra" is the plate to move the caliper out to match the huuuuge front disc.

This way I have 2 bikes in one.....and I can always flog the wheels seperately when I change, or get them adapted to fit whatever bike I get next.

All you are getting on the SM model is different wheels & forks. The forks on the recent DRZ's are good anyway (if a little untrendy), and the price differential between models (in the UK at least) is much more than the price of a set of wheels.