Sign in to follow this  

Steering dampers???...

you may also want to consider PitBull which is developing a Scotts/GPR style dampner......there's looks very promising!

Scotts is tried in true in this format....GPR is still new to me so though I've heard of them....I am not sure how good,bad,or indifferent they are!

Ohlins....I;d think of for a sportbike more due to the style of mounting for triple and frame and due to its not so compactness in comparison to the others......

that's my 2 cents!

I had a GPR version 1 for awhile. I liked it, it was simple and never had any issues. I sold it as I was not able to raise the handlebars (which was of higher priority for me) with the version 1 in place. I would strongly look at the version 2 GPR if and when I ever get one again. My $.02 :cry:

I just installed the BRP Scott's "sub mount"...

http://www.brpit.com/pages/products/sub_mount.html

The Scotts damper is tried and true to me, but the sub mount raises the bars a bit in itself, but also lets one use riser type bar clamps or spacers to raise the bars without affecting the damper mounting.

An additional benefit is that the damper is mounted under the bar (and backwards) so the damper is better protected and makes it less likely to bash one of your body parts against it (I haven't tried yet, but I you could even use a bar pad over it)

--Fillmore

Waist of money if you ask me, at least for racing.

Waist of money if you ask me, at least for racing.
RAD could you add something a little more specific to support your view? Its a subject I am interested in..... :cry::cry::cry:

Scotts and öhlins is the same damper. The original inventer was öhlins but the patent was after a couple of years sold to scotts and now they are making öhlins and scotts in the same factory...

GPR and almost all other dampers are based on the same technique but they dont work as well as the original often due to a simpler construction....

If steering damper is overkill for supermoto is up to you but i would spend the money on a membership to a fitness center instead....

A steering dampener is not a replacement for correct suspension setup! Athough current trends are touting it that way, the sports bike world is going through this as well. Steering dampeners will on disguise a setup problem they won't fix it. Why do some of the top racers use them you ask? Basically they have set thier bikes up in such a way that they are fairly unstable (aids quick turn in and change of direction) and have decided to live with a bit of slap happiness from the bike. Set you static sags re spring if neeecary the price of the steering dampener with go a long way in the revalving respring shop. Then and only then if you determine its nesscary fit one. It can also make setting up a bike at a new track/ intially very diffcult due to its disgusing what the bike is actually doing.