Sign in to follow this  

IMS 4.0 on CRF250r

I have a 2005 crf250r and on ims' website it says that it will work but the guy on the phone at ims says no. it is the 4.0 gallon fuel tank. he says only on the x model. Anyone know for sure if it will work on my bike. what differences are there between the r and x when it comes to mounting and clearance of the fuel tank? thanks

I have a stock X tank I put on my R when I need it. There are no clearance issues but the mount in the front of the tank (where it bolts to the frame) is different. I have to use my R bracket.

Maybe they designed the tank to mount w/o a bracket.

if they designed to to work without a bracket then it should still be fine? cuz there are other mounting points correct? the guy on the phone didnt seem to know what he was talking about.

No, if it's designed to work w/o the bracket it won't fit because the mounting point is in a different place on the X.

Someone on here has one on their X but I forget who it is.

An R tank designed to fit an R with or without a bracket will fit the X with a different bracket. An X tank designed to fit an X with a bracket can be adapted to an R but the X tank without any bracket will not fit the R.

Did that make sense :cry::cry: ?

Any way if the tank comes with some type of removable bracket up top it can be adapted.

The Clark tank I just got fits an R or X , the x takes bracket. If IMS made the X tank to bolt on without a bracket it may be too long to fit an R.

i just got off the phone with the tech guy at ims and he had a different answer than the sales guy yesterday. he says it will fit either the R or X. so i said ok and then ordered it. It should be here tomorrow since i live fairly close, but not close enough to drive and get it cuz of traffic. i will let you guys know how it fits.

I have the 4.0 gallon tank on my 250x. If I remember correctly, it uses the stock mounting bracket. It also has 2 brackets for the radiators. You will have to swap the positioning on the radiator mounts from bottom to top and then use their brackets to mount the tank. Finally, it has 2 bumpers (I guess) that bolt in on the bottom (towards the front) that goes between the tank and the frame, so the frame won't rub up against it. It has 2 fuel valves that mount to the bottoms of the shroud parts of the tank plus your stock petcock. The 2 fuel valves, at least mine, were a pain in the butt to screw into the plates that they provide(really had to torque them down). I ran a 90 mile race and had no leakage. Anyways, they also provide several hoses and in the instructions I read that you had to cut one of the hoses about a 1/2" -1" if you had the 250r.