Sign in to follow this  

Replacing Piston in 250X

After finding out that the local Honda shop was going to charge me an arm and a leg to replace the piston in my 250 I've decided to do it myself. The overall process looks pretty straightforward, so I'm not too worried about that. What I'd like to know though are any tips/tricks/gotcha's that I should be aware of as I go about the process of replacing the piston.

For instance, are there any specialty tools that people are using that makes the job a bit easier? What should I be looking for as I tear things apart that will tell me I need to do other work than just replace the piston (ie. new valves)? Any lessons learned? Any things that I should NOT do?

Also, if it does appear that I need to replace the valves is it necessary to replace the entire valve assembly or can I order just a new valve?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

There is a timing chain tool on the forums somewhere. I never bookmarked it.

You will need a valve spring compressor and an assortment of shims to set the valve clearance.

Keep things clean and organized as you disassemble.

If the intake valve is the one in question then change both intakes and all 4 springs and 4 valve stem seals.

Clean up the cylinder bore with a ball hone or scotchbrite pad.

There is a timing chain tool on the forums somewhere. I never bookmarked it.

The cam chain tensioner tool image is here. The thread where it was discussed is here. The proper size small screw driver will work just as well.

You will need a valve spring compressor and an assortment of shims to set the valve clearance.

The Motion Pro Multivalve spring compressor comes highly recommended by others. Motion Pro also makes a regular spring compressor. Hotcams sells shim sets for a reasonable price.