Sign in to follow this  

'05 CRF450 hard to start

I ride a '03 CRF450 and have never had starting issues except for one time with a case of bad gas and when the valves finally went south. I rode with a friend this weekend that has a '05 CRF450 with about 12 hours on it. Most of the time his bike started easy and one or two kicks like it should. Then one time though, after coming out of a tight really slow canyon it took probably a good 30-40 kicks for it to come alive. Hot start, no hot start, tried the choke, tried everything... Nothing but eventually once he was completely wore it started. The motor was probably REALLY hot on that one. Then the next morning he experienced the same thing but it was only after a short warm up and a couple hundred yards over to another camp. Then it wouldn't start and again took massive kicks. We then went riding and about ten minutes into the ride I crashed and he stopped, couldn't get it started after waiting for me to get up without 20 or so kicks. He said the filter was probably pretty dirty but other then that there's nothing else wrong with it... Any ideas if it turns out to keep doing this with a clean filter? Should he check the valves with only 12 hours on it?

Khris

Should he check the valves with only 12 hours on it?

Yes, they should be checked after break-in anyway. I would check the fuel screw setting and make sure the idle is set right.

It could also be running very rich if the air filter is dirty.

yea, definitely check the valves. my brother checked his 05 with 3.6 hours on it.

They were still in spec... but BARELY. It was at .13mm on both intakes. Not sure if it came from the factory that way or not.... but it's too easy NOT to check.

lot easier than kicking 60 times.. that's for sure! :cry: