[[Template core/global/plugins/realFaviconGenerator does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]] Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha TTR 125 Electric Vs Suzuki DRZ Kawasaki KLX 125 Kickstart

Here is my question to all of you guys that own a TTR 125LE (electric start) or the Suzuki DRZ 125 (kick start).Give me your advice about which is better the DRZ kickstart(very cold blooded) or the TTR Electric Start.I have read all the other arguments but have not heard anything on this subject.

I am leaning towards the electric start Yamaha for my 12 year old daughter.It will be used for lots of trail riding and enduro racing.Either one I get will have all the mods done springs--pipe-etc.

I would really like to hear the pros and cons of the kick vs electric. :cry:

If she is already and experienced rider I don't think the electric vs. kickstart only debate is much of a deal either way. If she is a new rider, I would definitely go with the electric start. I've taught quite a few newbies to ride and my wife's TTR was the first electric start dirtbike I've ever owned. Teaching a newbie with electric start made the whole experience much more enjoyable (constant kick starting can get very tiring for a new rider who is constantly killing and/or dumping the bike). I've actually found I like riding the little TTR and one of the draws is the electric start. Good luck in your decision but I would lean towards the electric start TTR125LE.

She is fairley experienced she had a Honda Xr 80.She learned to ride pretty good but the kick starting and cold blooded nearly drove me insane.Lets here from some more of you.

performance wise i think thyre both really close. i know the 125 does have a much stiffer suspension. i love having electric start on my bike. after i dump it i hit the button for a second and it starts, while my friend has to kick, and kick, and kick his. on a cold morning go hit the button a few seconds and it fires right up. my friend with a kickstart ttr125 hates starting his if its not warm. i just got mine rejetted with my bbr pipe, freeflow airfilter kit, and airbox mod, and now it starts MUCH easier, and warms up in a few seconds, instead of minutes. ive also got the bbr fork/shock springs and the frame cradle. ive loved all of the mods ive done. pipe, with new filter, with airbox mod made HUGE difference in power, low-mid. and springs made it feel like a completely different bike :cry:

Proper re-jetting will cure the cold-blooded problems on either bike.

The TTR is a nicer looking bike than the DRZ/KLX and there are more

aftermarket goodies for it. Stock for stock the TTR is probably a better

all around motorcycle. The DRZ has more potential for horsepower mods

but I don't think that's what you are looking for in this case.

TTR w/ electric start all the way. Don't even consider anything else.

When she gets tired kicking it's YOUR TURN. Been there done that with our TTR90 which was bought the year before the electric start became available. It's not so much cold starts, which can be cleaned up with jetting, but when it gets dumped while it's hot. I've got a 13 year old daughter on ours right now and she loves it.

Then there's also the higher resale value when you're ready to get rid of it. I looked for a used machine when i got ours and there were no LE's available. Lots of everything else (red, green, yellow, a few regular TTR125L's) but no TTR125LE's.

Out of everything in the barn it's the one bike we'll probably always have. (At least until the YZF150 comes out :cry: )

I'm a new rider on a TT-R 125L but it's not electric start. I really enjoy it and it usually fires off after 1-2 kicks. IT's an '02 and it does great. Would highly recommend the TT-R!

The electric start is great for everyone in my family. Much simpler and easier to use. I ride a yz250 on the track and have a ball in the woods with the ttrle and the snow. Can't go wrong- Jimyz

The Pro Circuit T-4 ehaust system arrived yesterday.Also the BBR Springs front and rear and the frame cradle along with the free flow filter.I am just getting started.I can tell this bike will be like a addiction. :):)

One more thing I am new to thumper talk and I have noticed some of the posts have dissapeared in the last couple of days on this thread,even some of my own posts.Is this normal? :p

I will keep everyone informed,also anyone out there have the pro-circuit T-4 on there bike.Could you let me know what you think about it.

I started on a friends TTR electric start and the first time riding the bike I dumped it because of the front disc brake. One shoulder surgery later I now own a DRZ 125. The Suzuki is great it. The engine is much stronger, the oil filter is better and once the motor is warmed up it starts with one kick every time.

if you re-jet the bike you wont have to worry about cold-bloodedness, and besides kicking never hurt, since most fullsized bike are gonna require a goo kick anyways

just realized this is a very old post...why are people suddenly bringing back old posts???

LOL..:ride: Damn Newbies.. They get ya everytime!

I had a DRZ125L for my wife for 3 years, just sold it and got her the TTR125LE. The TTR has a bit more power, aluminum swingarm, adjustable remote rear shock, a better package, and more aftermarket following on hop up parts. I like not having to kick the thing after she tips over. I still have to pick it up half the time for her, but oh well.