Sign in to follow this  

Need some help on bike choice

hello everyone, need alittle help on a bike choice. I sold my atv and I also have street riding back round but this will be my first dirt bike.I'm 31 5'10 205lbs and really just looking to trail ride (no motocross,or heavy jumping) the area I plan on riding is a off road park here in pa. with tight, rocky and muddy terrian. I would like something realiable with a good maintace history.the only bike I really ckeck out was the xr so any suggestions would be great...I can't wait to ride again...

Thanks Frank :cry:

Suzuki DRZ 400E Cant go wrong. :cry: Mike in Modesto

MXJunky agrees with M in M, in theory and practice!

Your 200 lbs right? any person with average strength of your weight should have no problem. I dont notice the weight until I ride one of my sons bikes (KTM 125 SX) then I can tell. His crf 250x doesnt feel all that much lighter. Bottom line is the drz 400 has plenty of go especially with some mods, bulletproof reliability, and a magic button. Take off the dorky rear taillight mount, put on a rm front fender, some renthal desert vintage high bars and It will look a little more racey too. Mike in Modesto

frankt -- When you say "tight" and "rocky" trails I think a 250 fourstroke would be the way to go. Recent motorcycle magazine reviews give very good ratings to the Yamaha and Hondas. I picked the CRF250X and it is awesome for this terrain. I started on an XR400 and like the 250X way more. The XR and DRZ400 are good all around bikes - but a 250 will be more fun to ride in the tight stuff. :cry:

crf 150 or 230

are you on crack? he said he's 5'10, 205lbs, and he knows how to ride already. the 150 and 230 are for women and kids who do not know how to ride.

if you want reliable with low maintenance, get an XR250 or 400, KLX300, DRZ 400, KDX 200/220 (2 stroke). the modern 4 strokes are fairly maintenance intensive compared to the bikes listed here.

also, there's lots of good deals to be had on left over 250 2-strokes, which make decent trail bikes but are extremely light, simple, and easy to maintain.

also, to everyone reccomending the CRF 250X, the guy said he wanted a reliable bike with a good maintenance reccord. the CRF 250s fall well outside that definition