Sign in to follow this  

Chinese CRF 50 Look alikes. Any good?

Well having owned a 04 CRF 50 for my 6 year old son and having already sold it I am kicking myself in the butt. He had decided he didn't want to ride anymore after a pretty good get off at the local MX track. So we sold it and bought him a mini sand rail. He really loves riding that thing but everytime we go out with friends with bikes he just rides there and I think is ready to get back to the 50's. I am curious as to how good these Chinese 50cc bike are you see on ebay. They are anywhere from $350-600. Half the price of what I sold his used CRF for. The only reason I would consider one of these is cause of his age and weight. I know the CRF is bullet proof but I also know that he could never (at least at this point) ride the CRF to its full potential. I just wonder if we would be just as good off to buy the chinese and let him ride it until he gets big enough for a 90-100cc. He also has a 5 year old sister that rides. I know my kids don't care if its a honda or a chinese bike as much as I do. Anyone know of any dealers in So. Cal for these chinese bikes? Also what brands are good and which are not?

Thanks

As far as where to buy ... can't help ya.

I too have been looking at the Ebay bikes and wondering. I have searched both this and other mini forums to try and hear real life experiences with the Ebay bikes. I have come to a few conclusions. Number one ... is longevity is ANY concern to you, suck it up and buy another Honda. Second, NEVER get a rotary tranny in one of the knock-off bikes. Third, you have to REALLY look at the pics to see what you are really buying. Yea sure, it may use some Honda parts or claim to be Honda part compatible, but ... I read where trying to use Honda parts on these bikes works sometimes - and not others.

It seems that the only engines worth putting into the Honda bikes are the LIFAN motors. There are several others out there and will be cheaper than the LIFAN motors, but I hear they just dont last and they use weird carbs that you have to adapt to fit the Keihin jets. Also ... make sure you look at what REALLY comes with the bikes, and what "small" extras you will need to buy to make it run. A lot of the bikes look fine but don't use oil in the front forks and use thin walled steel to hold it together (VERY short MX career!). Welds are minimal and the paint is sprayed on just to cover the bare steel - not to last.

Depending on the size of your son, guage to see if a cheapie Ebay bike will last him in his riding career. My brother outgrew the whole miniMX thing ... I never did! Good luck trying to figure it all out. I did some research, but like most ... I have no real life experience with them either. If it were my kid ... buy a used Honda or similar. Just my opinion! Hope it helps!! :cry:

The motors seem to be good if a bit underpowered. The rest of the bikes are built like cheap bicycles except for the SDG and the Xtreme. I'd look for a used Honda.

Ive seen the JinCheng Z50 clones, they look real good, but then the old fat-tire 50 wouldnt be too good on the track. I havent seen a CRF50 clone I liked.

I bought a JinCheng Z50 motor, with electric start, for a project I never seem to get started on. Motor looks nice, came with carb, intake and all electrics.

One of these days.......!

Robert :cry:

You get what you pay for. But a chinese brand if you consider it disposable, i.e. the first time something breaks, it is garbage because there are no parts available.

thats not always true about the break it and its worthless!! i have a 50 knockoff!! mxcrazy.com they are good!! very fast and completely compatible!! i have been very happy!! infact alot of the items i have seen on ebay that the CRF and XR guys are buying are off of the knockoff i have!! its well worth the 500 bucks!! check it out!! the only thing is the guy is out of dallas so u would have to pay for shipping!! very strong bike. normal changes would need to be made like peg and mounts for a bigger guy to ride it!! comes with stiffer shocks and forks!! im telling you its a fast bike and i have had no problems with it!! but is completly compat with honda!! good luck man!!

There was a nice discussion here that got lost.

Those mxcrazy bikes look pretty nice. Why SO cheap? have you spent any time on Honda 50 or 70's to compare it to? Does the suspension really "work" or is it just springs?

Thanks, they look nice for that price!

nothing?

There was a good discussion of what's available.

The mxcrazy.com guy says that Honda parts of all kinds work. Even the bodywork bolts right on.

IN FACT, I think I saw one of these with XR bodywork being sold on Ebay as an XR. :)

I'm not talking about body work, I mean the motors. What about when they break. We have guys bring these to the shop all the time. They are told that the xr pistons, etc are the same, but so far I haven't seen any that are.

crap, I thought the motors matching was a given!!

It's old Honda tooling right?

Does anyone have any handle on how many different (or just 1) manufacturers in China are making these bikes? Are some better than others or are they all the same?

I need a ONE year bike for a 60lb kid riding trails. By next year he'll have outgrown it.

Are these ok for that scenerio? Seems like most of these get full sized adults riding them as pit bikes.?

The mxcrazy.com bike looks awfully nice for $500 new vs $800-900 for a 5 year old 50.

Are there warranties on any of them?

Hey I've got one of these Chinese CRF copies, & yes they have the Honda motor bolted in,They are exactly like the Honda engine & all the Honda parts fit,They have different cases & thats all,Mine came with 05 CRF plastic ( Yellow ) the only thing thats different from the Honda is the china models have cheap footpegs... :). here is a link to the manufacturer: http://www.bigbearfitness.com/index.htm

I don't think you can buy direct from them unless you want 50 or more bikes.. :) Or there is also a dude on EBAY that doing them pretty cheap around $300 - $500 for a 70cc model.

Anyway,I've jumped mine & nothing bad has happened YET :p ... Its been pretty good.

ok here is the deal!! the motor in the mxcrazy bikes are very strong!! i haven't had any problems with it but the cdi!!! it got wet and shorted out!! jason the guy i bought it from gave me another one!! i did however see that is diff!! the honda have two plugs for the revbox! this one is one single plug!! there are only 5 wires for both so u could get it to work!! as far as the engine with honda parts swapable !! i haven't had to do motor work to it!! but i know the rod, piston and head are the same!!! and swap!! as far as all the bolt on stuff they all work too!! rims, breke lever, tripple clamp, plastics, engine, swing arm, pegs and mounts!! the back brake lever is big and cheap!! same with the peg mount and pegs!! normal stuff to replace!!! over all im very happy with my bike and ride the crap out of it!!! trany will shift down through all the gears then back to nautral and back throught the gears as u shift down !! so im sure the trany is not compatible!! but don't know if the gears and stuff wont work!!!!?!?!?!?! hope i don't have to find out!! hehe!! and if i do i will just get a crf engine and not worry about it at all!! for 500 its well worth the money!! hope this helps!! pm me if u want further info on it!!

I think ya can't go wrong with the Chinese bikes,Mines been great. I ran it in properly,Checked everything was tight & greased properly just like i did with my Honda... Its been a great wee bike, I say go for it.

On the same subject, I know about Lifan motors, anyone heard of Senchin engines? I spied them on Skido 90cc kid's fourwheelers. I believe they are 'Senchin' produced as thats whats stamped on one of the fins on the jug. Other than that, looks identical to a honda 50 to 110cc mill. Googling doesn't turn up anything of value.

On the same subject, I know about Lifan motors, anyone heard of Senchin engines? I spied them on Skido 90cc kid's fourwheelers. I believe they are 'Senchin' produced as thats whats stamped on one of the fins on the jug. Other than that, looks identical to a honda 50 to 110cc mill. Googling doesn't turn up anything of value.

I have no working knowledge: But I've "SEEN" folks posting that "all" the other ones were crap, lots of problems. To ONLY get the Lifans. FWIW :)