Clutch Verdict is in

Finally got around to pulling the clutch and found the basket to be fairly well gouged. I'm sort of disappointed as I really don't think I've been that hard on this clutch. I don't race, I shift early, and I always use the clutch. Anyway, couple of questions to get me headed in the right direction. Here's some pics to show the damage.

Clutch4.jpg

Clutch3.jpg

Clutch2.jpg

Clutch1.jpg

1) Obviously the clutch basket needs to be replaced. Is there a benefit to going with an aftermarket basket like Hinson?

2) In the ServiceHonda picture below, can I get get away with buying #16 (washer), #3 (basket), and a set of "cheaper" disks like Tusk?

clutch.jpg

3) Also, I'm going to get new springs and I'm thinking of getting the 450 springs. Bad idea, good idea?

Thanks in advance.

Get the tusk clutch and springs actually the springs they send you are ebc heavy duty.I just put them in my bike on sunday and bikes shifts like butter.I cant attest to how they will hold up but at the price of 35.00 for friction metals and springs and lifetime guarentee you cant go wrong.Also what the hell did you do to that clutch basket.I have my bike for 14 monthe and ride 2 times a week and mine looks like new.I think you are using you clutch too much.If your a clutch abuser go with hinson.

I can only imagine what my 05 looks like. I road with it for 20 hours with a clutch that was adjusted way too tight. It didn't engage until about 3/4's of the way out (the way I had it adjusted). And now that I loosened it up, I won't be able to tell. With the lever having a little bit of slack, the bike still won't move in gear (turned off) and I am going to say it won't start in gear. Is it a real project to open it up and take a look? ?

Do yourself a favor, buy the basket, inner hub, pressure plate. ?

I have the tusk disc ready to got in but I am unsure of how they will last ? so I got a honda setup coming.

Those pics look better than ours. We have about 40 race hours plus on ours. I pulled the dang thing apart and found the plates to have around .002 wear on them last week. So in went a set of 05 250R springs and a touch up of the basket with a file and a few more oil holes added to the inner hub. All in hopes to survive the first harescramble in our season before a major rebuild this week to get ready for the Gncc's. Well all I can say is I should know better than to do things half-ass ?

The race was on frozen ground, 1 inch mud and snow. studded tires. Junior hammered it on the start and was left in the dust...He managed to get going and hung on to the tail end of the A Open class for the first section (2miles) well then he came into the scoring about 2 minutes off the pace..... no more adjustment left and a smell of plastic/rubber as I tried to get him some slack in the cable... His boot was melting on the clutch cover..... well off for another lap and it was pushed back to the truck. ?

I got the bad mechanic speech....

Do it right or don't bother...

Those notches arent that big, I had a 03 rm125 with grooves about 3 times the size of those ones. You could probably file those out but I would go with a hinson basket. The hinson baskets are stronger and will make your bike shift smoother. To answer your second question, I would replace the hub(#4)aswell as the components you listed(I believe the stock hub is around $30). Normally I would say go with the stock clutch buy many people, including myself have been having problems with them, maybe try the tusk one honda88 mentioned??? Go with aftermarket springs aswell, I just got the ebc ones from rockymountainmc.com for $8.

Wow! That basket is hammered! Do you run too high of a gear in the corners and clutch it hard?

I would definately get a Hinson after seeing the wear on that.

I gotta tell you, I really don't ride that hard. I was definitely disappointed to see the damage. I sank the bike pretty deep in water back in October and rode for about 3 hours afterwards. When I got home, I immediately drained the oil from both sides and found that the tranny oil was full of water. I ran about 5 quarts of oil through it in the hopes of getting rid of all the crap. Is there a chance the water could have something to do with the premature wear on the basket?

Also, it's looking to cost around $500 just for the Hinson basket, inner hub, and pressure plate. ? In the interest of money, I may be forced to go the stock route at least this time. If anyone knows where I can get the Hinson parts cheaper, let me know.

One more thing. Can I run a Hinson basket with a stock inner hub and pressure plate? The Honda basket is $136.55 from ServiceHonda and the Hinson is $189.99 from Rockymountainmc.com. I don't mind the extra $53 but the Hinson inner hub is $269.99 from Rockymountain and the stock hub is $46.95.

I can only imagine what my 05 looks like. I road with it for 20 hours with a clutch that was adjusted way too tight. It didn't engage until about 3/4's of the way out (the way I had it adjusted). And now that I loosened it up, I won't be able to tell. With the lever having a little bit of slack, the bike still won't move in gear (turned off) and I am going to say it won't start in gear. Is it a real project to open it up and take a look? ?

It's surprisingly easy to get apart. I may be the least mechanically inclined person alive and I managed. Now I have a bunch of decisions to make as far as what to replace and how much it's going to cost me.

As far as your bike not moving in gear while not running, that's pretty much what I found also. Even when it was new, it didn't roll in gear without much force but over time, it got worse and worse. Pull the clutch cover off (careful with the gasket), then pull the pressure plate off and you'll have access to the clutch disks. Pull them out of there and you'll have a nice view of your basket and inner hub. The procedure is laid out very clearly on page 28 of the owner's manual ('04 manual, don't know about the '05). Obviously, make sure you drain your tranny first.

I don't mind the extra $53 but the Hinson inner hub is $269.99 from Rockymountain and the stock hub is $46.95.

I can't beleive the difference in price! Do a search on the 450 springs. I was going to order them but reconsidered based on people's thoughts on the clutch pull. I am afraid to look at mine now!

I can't beleive the difference in price! Do a search on the 450 springs. I was going to order them but reconsidered based on people's thoughts on the clutch pull. I am afraid to look at mine now!

I'm wondering if the difference in spring tension has anything to do with basket wear? If a stiffer spring will get the basket to last longer, I'm all for it.

I sucked it up and ordered Pro Circuit springs after I was on the phone with them telling him all the arguments that I have heard against them (price mainly). He says they are stronger but will give the same great pull. We'll see. Wife- " $60 on little springs #@!!@#@#*&^^%%$#@!!!" I beleive there is a sweet post on the CRF being a money trap. The bike isn't a money trap- I am. ?

If anything, it might be even harder on the basket because it will engage with more force, because of the stiffer springs.

OK, I'm sold on the stock springs. What about using the Hinson basket with an OEM inner hub and pressure plate?

Yes you can run the hinson basket with the stock hub.Smart decision for the extra 53 bucks.Also another thing to think about.Barnett makes a clutch basket that looks great.it has stainless steel inserts that they claim do away with notching and comes with new polyurathane bumpers.Give them a call might be worth a try.Plus it comes in a nice red That you will never see.You know racers like shiney colored things.Good luck.

.Also another thing to think about.Barnett makes a clutch basket that looks great.it has stainless steel inserts that they claim do away with notching and comes with new polyurathane bumpers.

I saw that in the magazine recently, it looks pretty good too. I wonder what the price is......

If anything, it might be even harder on the basket because it will engage with more force, because of the stiffer springs.

Actually, the heavier springs will reduce chatter...which is what chews up the basket and hub.

As far as Pro -Circuit springs having the same pull...it will be a little heavier. All they are is Cr250 springs( same wire,winding and length...who knows how makes them, but PC doesn't wind thier own springs).Or you could go to a dealer and get the stock Cr springs for 8 bucks and your wallet will be 52 bucks heavier