Sign in to follow this  

Need New Bike!!

Hi my name is Mike, and this is my first post. I have been riding for about 2 years now, and I love the sport. I have been riding a 2000 YZ250 with lots of mods done to it. Recently I sold the bike to a freind of mine, and now I am looking to get a new bike. My question is, What is the Bike Of Choice. I ride in the woods 90% of the time. I loved the power of my YZ, but it was a bit snappy for me. I am looking at the CRF250R, but I am affraid that it will be slow compaired to my YZ. I did ride a 2001 YZ125, and It seemed like it was not enough. To Loud for how fast it was going. I am 6"1, and about 190lbs. What do you guys think I should buy? 4Stroke, or 2Stroke

take a look into the ktm 300exc....sounds like a good bike for you. it has lots of low end, can be fast when you want it, and slow when you need it. check the ktm forum and you will see some guys with the 300. great 2 stroke bike

a buddy of mine HUGE KTM rider, just traded his 300exc for a 200exc. He love the change. the 300 is a animal.....LOOOOOOOOOTS of power, this guy is an X pro rider. And he said it scared him a few times, well i suppose since he traded it one too many times.

I would say a 4 stroke...you will like the bottom end torque. I would also say a 250x, I love the thing, I have ridden most of my buddies bikes and they have ridden mine and they all really like the 250x, a lot of them said if they had the extra cash they would get one with out thinking twice. And one of them was a yamie rider is getting a 05R.

I had a 1989 YZ 250 but times were ruff an had to sell the bike :cry: When I purchase my CRF 250X last week I was very surprised it runs like the old 2 stroke. :cry: Good luck an buy the right bike first.

Im not big on KTM becuase there are not many dealers around here. It would be hard to get parts for it, but I heard they are wonderfull bikes. I am thinking the crf250r, or the crf250x would be nice. What are the differences in these bikes? I also like the new yz250 with the aluminum frame, but it may be to much bike for me.

Im not big on KTM becuase there are not many dealers around here. It would be hard to get parts for it, but I heard they are wonderfull bikes. I am thinking the crf250r, or the crf250x would be nice. What are the differences in these bikes? I also like the new yz250 with the aluminum frame, but it may be to much bike for me.

It sounds like you ride mostly woods? Don't discount the 300EXC. It's by far, the best woods bike I've ever ridden. Tons of power whenever you need it and excellent suspension. That being said, I ride a 250R and love it. The main difference between the R and the X is gear ratios. The X has a much wider ratio than the R, giving it much better top end speed. The R gets to it's top speed much faster but on those long fire roads, you'll be winding it out. I ride my R in everything from MX to tight single track and it does great everywhere.

If you don't plan on riding mostly MX, I'd say go with the X.

So the X has higher top speed, but the R is much quicker? hmmm, but I guess you could allways change the gearing up right? I am ussually on tight trails, but there are some dirt roads where I like to open her up. The X has a kickstand, a light, and power start right? is it a lot heavier?

I should get the crf250x? doesnt the crf250R have 10 more HP? I like more HP.

Here's a quote from a comparison.

Top Speed - CRF250X and R

One of the questions we've received repeatedly is what is the top speed of the X model. Though it feels as if it runs easier up top and has a higher top speed - the results were a bit surprising. We ran both bikes in the desert along a soft sandy desert road and checked top speed by GPS. Temperatures were in the 80s.

The 250R would get up to 63mph and then after a bit suddenly jump up to 68mph tops. The jump could come be from when the rear wheel settles and stops spinning.

The 250X gets up to speed more slowly. It gets into the 60s and then slowly climbs to 68mph. We saw 69mph one time but couldn't back it up. The X, it would appear, can't pull it's taller gearing any faster than the potent R can top out its lower gearing.

CRF250X = 68mph / CRF250R = 68mph

http://www.motorsports-network.com/honda/2004mc/crf250/crf250r.htm

I should get the crf250x? doesnt the crf250R have 10 more HP? I like more HP.

Yes, the R has more HP, but you can fix the HP deficit pretty easily. The X is also heavier than the R by about 25 lbs, but you get the lights, kickstand, e-start, overflow bottle, 18" rear tire, etc. If you don't do any serious MX or plan to do less than 50% MX type riding, I'd say go with the X. Although not optimized for the track, it can hold it's own with a good rider. Off road and on the trails, all the extras on the X make it truly awesome. When riding off road with guys on 250R's and 450R's, you should hear the comments I get when I put down the kickstand for a rest, then punch the button to go. Wonderful.

CRF250X = 68mph / CRF250R = 68mph

I need to get a GPS so I can measure the CCC X top speed :cry: .

I know this is the Honda forum and not many people will like this but if you want more snap than the R the yami WR250 has a better engine than the CRF and is alot more dependable. However the supension on the crf is a little nimbler and the seat height is a it lower making it a little easier in the woods.