Sign in to follow this  

Has anyone had any problems with a crf250x

I bought mine in march of last year and have had no problems - except bending a radiator, scratching plastics, and flying off of the thing at least once or twice a month. The thing is a blast to ride!!! Do the free mods and the sky's the limit - but get radiator and engine guards - this bike loves to be pushed. :cry:

I test rode a 250X and loved it but was scared off by all the talk about valve problems. I read back about 20 pages on this site and it made me want any other bike but this. I posted a question, much like yours, and got a bunch of positive replies. So I bought one.

My bike has been perfect, no problems. I'm not the only one with a good story to tell, but some guys have had expensive problems. If you plan to race it or beat the stuffin' out of it on the trail, then you better expect to spend some time and money on it. But I think that has to be true of anything you treat roughly.

Read this thread: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223302

It has some more great news for you. I say: Buy It!

Had mine since June '04 and lovin' every minute of it. Got about 1500 miles on it and no problems. Just check the valves, change the oil, and clean the filter. Only problem is it didn't come with a seat belt -- I keep flying off the darn thing. :cry:

Dito.

I got my 250X on Valentines Day last year. Best Valentines Day present ever!

It is really fun to ride - especially on the trails. I have not had any problems at all. I checked the valves Saturday and they are still right on spec.

I am a recreational rider, so I expect it will last me a long time and the maintenance shouldn't be too bad. If I were in to racing or rev'ing to the max, I would have some concerns.

Rear tires wearing out.

Jaw hurts from grinnin all the time while riding.

Not riding it enough.

Had it since May, wife surprised me with it.....biggest giggle factor bike I have ever owned.

And has been said.....the strengths of a place like TT and others is for folks to ask questions on problems etc....not rant and rave about the last ride......

Remember, if it has wheels or a skirt, it WILL give you troubles.

Key is finding one that gives the most grins between maintenance down time.

:cry:

HR

Remember, if it has wheels or a skirt, it WILL give you troubles. Key is finding one that gives the most grins between maintenance down time.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::devil::devil::D

My wife really enjoyed that one :cry: .

Ive had nothing but headaches with the CRF250X. SO much that i wont touch a CRF Honda until they fix the valve problems.

I was going to wait and get a 450X, but first hand frustration with valves going out on the Unicam 250X forced me to look for an alternative.

Also i have seen numerous posts on TT from Honda employees, always 'spinning' any criticism, no matter how accurate, into an attack on the poster. It sickens me. As a result of all this i am now slowly joining the many serious off-roaders who dis-like the corporate giant.

I just bought a '05 Husky 510 rather than the first year 450X. I am super happy with my new bike. After many years of Honda -- its amazing to ride a bike that is so much better in so many ways. Now i look down on Honda riders as victims of endless japanese marketing campaigns...

you asked.

Ive had nothing but headaches with the CRF250X. SO much that i wont touch a CRF Honda until they fix the valve problems.

I was going to wait and get a 450X, but first hand frustration with valves going out on the Unicam 250X forced me to look for an alternative.

Also i have seen numerous posts on TT from Honda employees, always 'spinning' any criticism, no matter how accurate, into an attack on the poster. It sickens me. As a result of all this i am now slowly joining the many serious off-roaders who dis-like the corporate giant.

I just bought a '05 Husky 510 rather than the first year 450X. I am super happy with my new bike. After many years of Honda -- its amazing to ride a bike that is so much better in so many ways. Now i look down on Honda riders as victims of endless japanese marketing campaigns...

you asked.

well with one hour on mine and 5 thousand to pay off........................you just put a big knot in my gut......................i'll be on the toilet all day! thanks mister

Brrpr,

Glad you're happy with the new bike. But who is going to own Husky next week, Fisher Price? And with the money you paid for that beast, couldn't you just fix the Honda?

Brrpr,

Glad you're happy with the new bike. But who is going to own Husky next week, Fisher Price? And with the money you paid for that beast, couldn't you just fix the Honda?

Why throw good money after bad. a crf 250 mini bike will never be a 510 husky.

At best it is a higher risk purchase.

I am convinced that the guys that are having the problems with there X's are the ones that throttle the hell out of the little 2-fiddy reguarly running it right on or near the rev limiter all day long. And that is what is killing the valves.

I dont ride like this. I use the low to mid range power on the bike. And with over 1200 miles on it this summer the only thing I have spent money on is new rear brakes. Bike runs perfect. Best thing I have ever spent money on. I dont regret it for a minute. Also I dont ride fast trails or desert. I am on slower 3rd gear single track dodging trees were the max speed is like 30mph. Average is more like 15-20mph in the woods.