Sign in to follow this  

practice methods/routines?????

Hey i race an 04yzf250 and im a top c rider and really want to move up to the B class this summer, so my question is when you go to practice what is your routine or methods for constant improvments. Do you do drills then aplly them or what, i just dont want to waste any practice time, thanks in advance.

For most of us, the biggest improvement will come with corner speed.

Work on the Figure 8 drill. Work on you braking skills, but do this OFF the track. Figure out what it takes to lock up the front wheel while going slow and then gradually speed up and try braking a little later without locking up the front wheel. Keep the elbows up and look ahead, not where you are. As you get close to entering the turn, look past the turn and up the track. Your body will follow your eyes. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

Make sure you are riding motos when you practice, and not just riding a few laps until you feel tired. Race day should feel like a rest day compared to practice.

Ride different lines when you practice so you can effectively pass people.

Find someone who is about your speed or little faster than you and try to keep pace with them. Most people are generally annoyed when someone tries to dice while they are practicing. It is better to stay a few turns back and see if you can make time on them.

Use a stop watch and time your laps/motos. I have an MTB computer mounted to my bars that I can operate with my thumb. Experiment with different lines and suspension settings to see how it effects your lap times.

Ride different tracks.

You sound like me yamikid. This year, I'll be training by riding at least a couple 20 minute motos each practice day (2 days/week). I bought (another) LSP lap timer, so that'll help my motivation too.

I'll also be spending time on some tighter trails. I'm not a real trail rider and have had my arse handed to me on the trails before by fellas that I don't think I would have any problem w/ on the MX track. To me that says if I can improve my trail riding, it'll help my track riding.

Mix it up I say! :cry:

this is true all good points i like to take 1 lap slow to check out the track then ride untill i get arm pump soo bad that i cant anymore i have arm pump probelems but i justt need to get out there more

Ok, first off I'm not not Pro rider, but I am an A rider.

Here's what I can refer from the pro's.

- The pro's practices are a little differnt. They go out and ride 100 laps, not stop of practicing, and improving their skills. The wrong thing with this is, and this is why I do not sugest this to you, is if you go out and ride a lot of laps, unless your a top rider, then your just hurting your skills. Because most of us have bad habits, that's slowing us down. So dont go ou and do so many laps. Devide your time up and practice improving your techniques and skills as Gary would sugest.

Here's my main practice tip.

- They key to winning a race, usualy comes down to corners. So practice your corners allot. Here is the best way you can improve your laptimes allot. Go out to the local track, and practice each corner over and over untill you could get a 1/2 second faster on it. (Even if this takes 45 min. on a corner.)

Keep doing this on every corner. If you improve 1/2 second on ever corner, there is 20 corners on a typical mx track. That's 10 seconds a lap, times 5 laps ( normal race length ), = 50 seconds you could be saving a race. Go out and improve on every corner, and find the right lines. Keep switching lines, and finding out which ones faster.

Holeshot tip:

- As Gary mentions in one of his video's this is the tip I've used most off his tapes. Holeshot is another main factor to winning a race. You need to be the first guy to the corner. Practice you starts over and over and over. I usualy do about 15 starts a practice session. Learn the techniques right, on keeping the front end down, and learn how to use the clutch. (That's why RC get's so many holeshots, he knows how to use the clutch on his 2-stroke.)

- The secret of getting the holeshot as Gary mentions, hold on the gas another second longer then you think you can. I always do this in races or practice moto's. You want to be the first to the corner. (Practice this over and over.)

After you got the techniques down:

- After you have the techniques down, I think the best practice is practice moto's with other people. This is like real life race expierence.

*** I would also sugest you to get the practice guid from Gary.***