Sign in to follow this  

Wheelies on dirt

How do you do wheelies on the dirt? I can't seem to get it, all it does is the back tires slips. I can do it easily on the pavement better. Do you use clutch, or just gas?

Which bike are you riding? From your sig none of those bikes have the huge power like the 450's and such so dont think they will handle like them. A good quality back tire makes a difference the stockers are not that good.

I'd start learning by finding a set of really nice light whoops (rollers?). Go through them at a decent pace and whack the throttle open as you come up over the top. For me, it was a great way to learn what a wheel felt like and how much throttle i needed, and what sort of body position was necessary. Afterwards, you can go find a nice soft grass field and work on hitting your power band in 2nd gear. With a little bit of muscle, the right balance, and a lot of throttle it should come right up.. other wise you might have to clutch it up. If i'm not planning on clutching the front end up on my XR400, i dip the throttle and on the rebound of the suspension i get on the gas.

Remember that wheelies take a LOT of practice, so start small and work your way up. You really either need to have gobs of talent (right..) or practice and know your bike well to do good wheelies

A gradual incline helps too. I'm not anything near great at wheelies but with a hill I can at least lift my front tire up for few feet, I just have to work on it.

Ok, but i have no problem doing that, i just need to know how not to let my back tire not slip out. all it does is slip and i get nothing, while on cement is easy as hell. and w/ more power to the read tire the tire slips out even more, even with the leaing back part. i donno :cry: i c ppl doing it like nothing from goin from 0 mph. and on the crf50 is easy, like in my avatar.

try softer dirt and sit back on the seat. I was playing around on my gf's ttr125 practicing wheelies (have the scratched up knee to prove it) and found that leaning forward then snaping back and putting my butt way back by the yamaha on the seat while going from 1/4 trottle to 3/4 gave plenty of traction(in first) but had to move back more in second.

In short, to get traction, move your weight back. :cry:

How do you do wheelies on the dirt? I can't seem to get it, all it does is the back tires slips. I can do it easily on the pavement better. Do you use clutch, or just gas?

Here's a long thread from back in November in the Off-Road Techniques forum about learning to wheelie a CRF230. Hope it helps. -Mike-

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201377&highlight=wheelie