Sign in to follow this  

Bad Head Shake and Washing Out on my '04 CRF450

I changed the fork oil to Mobil one synthetic and the last time I rode I raised the forks 1/4" in the clamps, and everything felt great. Yesterday I went riding (didn't change a thing) and my bike was possessed, I never got comfortable, the front end was "washing out" on every turn. At one point my baby sent me down hard on the top of my head (ouch!), I think I tried to save it rather than just letting her go (reminds me of and old relationship!). I've got a sprained neck from my little beast. If the front end washes out are the forks too soft or too hard? I've had a problem with leaking bleeder valves on the caps. Could the loss of pressure in the fork be the problem? Help, my head hurts! Help, my head hurts! Help, my head hurts! Help, my head hurts! Sorry i'm back

As long as your race sag, etc. was and still is correct, you may have either too much compression damping, too little rebound damping or both. Look here. I don't know how that relates to your situation, but it's worth checking.

you mean you raised the forks 1/4" more over where they are stock,-----if so- that is your problem-----when you move that far you are asking for head shake, especially if you have stock clamps or heaven forbid a storm link,---and your not getting wash out from it but you are tucking the ft end badly and it is pushing it away very quickly ,--you are over center ,-----(i know it seams like a wash out but it starts way earlier and you loose that good feel and can not get comfortable while pealing in at the very beginning of the turn)----the oil is not a problem or shouldn't be? ,--when moving the forks in the clamps you should move them 2 mm at a time and see what effects that has,-----put the chassis back where it was stock and start over slowly.