Sign in to follow this  

Ready to do the RTV water pump fix. I have a few questions??

I searched for a few hours now, but I still have a few questions. i want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

I ordered all of the seals, and a case gasket from Ron Ayers.

1. When i repalce the gasket for the side cover, do I put it on dry, or do I put some sort of gasket sealer on it? and what are the proper torques for those bolts?

2. Does the brake pedal have to come off to get the side cover off?

3. What RTV is best to use. Should I use the Ultra Black, or the grey water pump RTV?

4. I think I understand from the description where to put the RTV, but I can't seem to find the part (ie ceramic disk) in the parts breakdown, or the shop manual. I have to take a closer look at the parts I received, maybe it will make sense.

Thanks in advance. I want to get this taken care of before the good riding weather arrives!!

1. When i repalce the gasket for the side cover, do I put it on dry, or do I put some sort of gasket sealer on it? and what are the proper torques for those bolts?

dry,no sealer.just snug the bolts by hand unless you have a good 1/4" drive tq wrench.

yes

3. What RTV is best to use. Should I use the Ultra Black, or the grey water pump RTV?

i use ultra black,but doesnt really matter.

4. I think I understand from the description where to put the RTV, but I can't seem to find the part (ie ceramic disk) in the parts breakdown, or the shop manual. I have to take a closer look at the parts I received, maybe it will make sense.

RTV goes HERE

I only loosen the brake piston (2 little bolts) so the brake pedal can go down further. I think it's a little bit easyer than removing the pedal.

Please note I have a quad, not a drz, I think it doesn't matter, but don't quote me on that.

Hi all,

I'm finally planning to install the kickstarter on my '03 S using Dr. Cobb's snapshots one of these winter days real soon.

I had ordered the kickstarter kit 1.5 years ago when I bought the bike brand new, but never got around to installing it since there was no rush (brand new strong battery and all).

Should I also do this RTV fix while I have the case open for the kickstarter as preventative maintenence? Or should I wait until I need to do it?

In the meantime, I'll look at some old posts to start familiarizing myself with what this fix was all about .

Talk to you soon!

TZ.

Hi all,

Should I also do this RTV fix while I have the case open for the kickstarter as preventative maintenence? Or should I wait until I need to do it?

Some leak,, many never do.. If yours is not now,, leave it.

I looked at the spare parts that I have. It looks like that seal is in 2 parts. One is the ceramic disk. Next question, should I bother to change the other half of the seal that is pressed into the side case, or should I leave it alone? How do I get the old one out w/o damaging the side case? Also, correct me if I am wrong, the ceramic part slides on the fixed part of the seal that is pressed into the case, so the ceramic spins with the impeller. If I am correct about the way things work, wouldn't the ceramic part wear out or leak with time? That design doesn't seem water proof, it looks like antifreeze under pressure would be able to seep through those 2 surfaces. Thanks again!! After these few questions I think I am just about ready to do the repair.