Sign in to follow this  

Bike for Mom

My mom is thinking of getting a bike. After seeing how much fun we have she wants to join in. Shes 5 9 so I'm not worried about a bike being to tall for her, but about her being able to pick it up. After picking up my bike all the time I'm not sure if she could pick it up when she falls. At first I thougtht he crf230 but accoridng to the honda website it only weighs 2 pounds less than my XR, which really suprised me. It would be nice to have something that my friends could ride also if they went with us, but it has to work for her more than it does for my friends. Is she going to be to tall for a 150, do any of you have problems picking up the 230.

Thanks

5'9" would be uncomfortably tall for a 150, I would think. Does it have to be a thumper? Why not a KDX 200? They are great bikes for beginners and also as a spare bike. Plus you can pick up relatively new ones for very cheap.

I actually reccomended that, but my dad is dead set that thumpers are the only way to go. I don't get it. I think the 150 is to small also, but my dad is worried about her picking up a 250, and the 230 barely weighs any less

I'm 5'5" and 145 lbs. I'm not in great shape, but xrDan says I have 'guns'. I have not yet had a problem picking up my 230. There are certain leverage moves you can use that make it a little easier, if it's a problem for her. There was a link around here somewhere.....

Here it is...

http://www.pinkribbonrides.com/dropped.html

Picking up the 230 wasn't that bad, after a long day it felt heavier. But I find that most guys would get my bike up off the ground before I even got myself up off the ground! :cry:

The 230 is a great learning bike in all aspects! :cry:

My .02 from an older rider! :cry:

Brenda

Thanks for all the info, I guess its the 230 or maybe 250, I think we will take her out on the 4 wheeler, then dump my bike in the sand and see if she can pick it up.

I'm 5'10", and got a YZ250F for my first bike... its made for MX, so its WAY lighter than most of the trail bikes, and if she's willing to but some practice into it, and can get used to kicking it (it'll take maybe 4 rides) I think thats the way to go, weight-wise... if $$ isn't an object, of course!

Good luck!

:cry:

E-start!! E-start!! :cry:

I am 5'10 and ride a CRF230. Some time I might want something larger, but for now this one is just fine.

Kim

I don't see her not being able to pick up the bike. I'm an MX'er so I have to say go for a 250F. The KX's are lighter and smaller than my 125.

I think she might be too tall for the 230. I am 5'5" and it felt like my 230 was too small for me, especially after I got used to it. It is a pretty small bike.

Since she is tall enough I would go for the 250F. Powerwise she can grow into it and they are fun bikes to ride. I am sure she could pick of a 230, but the 250F will be lighter (mx version), have better suspension and brakes, and have plenty of power when you want it. I know people that are light riders and people weighing in 200+lbs and the fun factor is high for all riders.

I think she might be too tall for the 230. I am 5'5" and it felt like my 230 was too small for me, especially after I got used to it. It is a pretty small bike.

This is the problem that I ran into. Its a great learning bike, but I feel like I'm growing out of it and I'm 5'5 as well. The dry weight of the 250R is 204lbs compared to the dry weight of the 230F, which is 238lbs. After a long day of riding, that extra 34lbs can make or break you! Go for the 250R!!

She will deffinatly want something bullet proof and with e-start. She wouldn't want anything that would require alot of wrenching so it would probably be a ttr or drz.

The 250F are definitly more high performance and require some more attention than the XR, DRZ and TTR. If she wasn't so hung up on the e-start she could always go with an used XR250 or 400. They would be bullet proof and the have better suspension and brakes compared to the 230. I am not sure what other bigger bikes have e-starts other than the DRZ400 which is going to be heavy. I can't remember the weight, but how about a KLX300?

The DRZ250 and TTR 250 both have estart. Thats what we are probably leaning towards, they are both hard to find used so we'll see. I think there is a possiblity she will take my dad's and he will go to a WR250, but I dunno.

I really think that your first bike should be a little small so you can flat foot touch, pick it up easy and start it easy. I'd say get the 230F if she feels good on it, ride it 6 moths and then sell it and get a modern 250F (maybe the CRF250X) that is lighter than the 230F but costs more. I bet you don't loose much on the 230F cause I've heard they have really good resale value.

I think those first 6 months, she'll love hte E-start. :cry:

After she learns to ride pretty good, get something with suspension and better brakes. Also try to get her to try other peoples bikes (yours, friends etc.) when ever she can. Probably after she stops falling.

Cheers,

I think it would be pretty funny if your mom got a new CRF450R, or RM-Z450. I was talking to a guy that had just got back into riding and had a XR250. he let his wife try it and wanted her to get his bike and he was going to get a new bike, but at the dealer she noticed the CRF250X was LIGHTer, and bought one. :cry:

All he could say was, well at least she's ridding with me. I guess there is no money for him to get a new bike now, so he's stuck on the XR250 for a while.

I think they were from the sac area, I ran into them out at Hollister on a week day when there is almost no one there. :cry:

BTW: I think your dad's DRZ250 makes the most sense, your mom will probably drop whatever bike it is a few times while learning so used makes more sense.

Cheers,

She tried my dad's DRZ250 yesterday, didn't have a problem riding it. Anything smaller would deffinatly be to small for her. We'll see what she ends up with