Sign in to follow this  

Greasy rags vs. washing machine

I'm sure everybody here is smart enough to not use the wife's new washing machine to wash oily rags, but not me. :cry:

I've washed shop/garage rags in the washer in the past with no big deal but over the weekend I washed a load that left a nice even smearing of grease residue all over the tub of the washer.

I tried Simple Green, which was useless, but I then used some citrus engine degreaser. I sprayed some on a newly clean rag and luckily the grease came off like a fingerprint comes off with Windex. I dodged the bullet one more time. :cry:

I absolutely hate red shop rags. They are useless. I have allways considered them a scam.

I buy like a 20 pack of teri cloth hand towels and have a few packs on hand at the shop. I use them to dry my hand a few times. Then they are used to wipe things off. Next in the rotation I use them for oily things, Finally I use to wipe up grease , whatever spill or nast part I need to clean. Then throw them away.

One of these will soak up as much as 5 shop rags and when used in a rotaion when you can they last a while.

I hate those red pieces of crap too.

Ill take a roll of shop towel over the red ones any day!!

Bah I have tons of them. I just throw them in the washer then cram them into a bucket for future use.

I go to sherwin willams (paint store) and get a 10 lb box of washed white knit rags for about $20.00 and just throw them away. the box probably lasts me 5-6 months.

I agree the red ones are crap.

Costco sells a nice bag of cheap terry towels as well. They can be used for just about anything. Though I prefer to wash them a couple times before use.

One of these will soak up as much as 5 shop rags and when used in a rotaion when you can they last a while.

Boy, I'd really hate to hear about the rotation plan you have with your toilet paper!

just kidding, just kidding! :cry:

I've got a pile of oily rags sitting in the garage. They're too dirty to use any more, They're just waiting to spontaneously combust and burn our house down, I imagine. I wouldn't DARE put 'em in our washing machine or the wife would make my life miserable for at least a week (she's VERY touchy about what goes in the washing machine).

I was thinking about getting up early one Saturday and hitting the local laundromat, and pulling a fast one there, but my conscience keeps saying: "You pecker-head! You won't ruin your own washer, but you're willing to ruin someone else's?!?"

Oy-vey, think I'll just toss 'em and buy new.

I use 'bag of rags' . its A huge bag of old towels from hotels and stuff, so they are better than the red ones and for 10 dolla its well worth it. The warning on the bag is funny "not for pansies, these have been used industrially and are not fo wimps.....yadda yadaa."

The red rags are dangerous too! I got one mixed in with a load of riding gear, and...WALA! Pink tinted Oneal Jersey, Pants riding socks...

THANK GOD, it didn't get my riding gear and only left all of my tee shirts, underware and sox a light hue of "gay pink". :cry::cry:

You think greasy rags messes up a washing machine . I put an air filter that had bel ray oil on it in the machine ( I was lazy that day). Big big big big big

messsssss!!!!! Biggg trouble too! anyway......... :cry:

I've washed shop/garage rags in the washer in the past with no big deal but over the weekend I washed a load that left a nice even smearing of grease residue all over the tub of the washer.

Most dryer fires are a result of heating the clothing still saturated with grease after being through the washer. Better to get rags in bulk and toss them when they are used up.

Most dryer fires are a result of heating the clothing still saturated with grease after being through the washer. Better to get rags in bulk and toss them when they are used up.

That reminds me of a place I used to work - they had a washer/dryer for cleaning their own shop rags (and they were 'rags' - old sweatshirt material and the like - cheap bastiges... :cry: ). We worked with a lot of solvents and a bit of jet fuel thrown in.

During one dryer cycle on 'auto-dry', it turned off, and while the residual moisture came out of the rags to turn the 'auto-dry' function back on, so did a bunch of fumes...

When the dryer kicked back on, it was - BLAMMO!!! No one hurt, but the dryer was totaled and the suspended ceiling panels all needed to be put back up in that room! :cry::cry:

The topper to that one was the hydraulic test bench they tried building. They planned on using a modified beer keg as a reservoir (once again, cheap bastiges :cry: ), but it never passed the 2x working pressure, pressure test... :cry:

But I digress... :devil::devil:

Fabricator, What ya fabricating??

Akers I have been meaning to ask you this for sometime. Whats up with the chicken??

I had a freind in elementry school whos house burned down from oily rags going from the washer to the dryer...

The house was the next street north of school and we all watched it burn...I must have been in 2nd grade and will never forget about oily rags in the drier!

I travel a lot so each time I am at a hotel, I steal all the towels