Sign in to follow this  

Water Wetter for Cooler Engine Temps?

The back of the bottle of water wetter claims that the temperature of the coolant would be lower if you ran straight water with wetter, rather than coolant with wetter. Has anyone tried this. I know all about the conditioners for aluminum radiators, but the point is cooler temperatures to keep max performance, and longer life span. If this true, we could just change distilled water with a few ounces of wetter every few weeks? Any thoughts?

Just for reference, Ramsey found that water and Engine Ice worked pretty well. Given that water has a higher thermal conductivity than water and anti-freeze, plain water probably would provide better cooling. I don't know about the plain water/aluminum/corrosion issue, but going without coolant is risky if you ever experience freezing temps outside.

I know all about the conditioners for aluminum radiators, but the point is cooler temperatures to keep max performance, and longer life span. If this true, we could just change distilled water with a few ounces of wetter every few weeks? Any thoughts?

just plain water = corrosion

just plain water and freezing temps = ice

i would recommend something less than a 50/50 mixture plus water wetter or engine ice as recommended above.

:cry: Have you guys ever thought of an ofter market water pump? I heard boyseen ( cant spell it..lol) increases flow by uo to 40%, it say coller engines of your money back! I ahve never heaerd of engine Ice, I* will have to try it.

Ryan

Check out Evanscooling.com. It's a waterless based coolant. I put this in our dirtbikes last year and have not added an ounce since. We ride SoCal desert, pretty warm temps. WE don't have to worry about overheating anymore. Good stuff.

I also wanted to say that I have an 04 crf 450 with about 80 hrs and I don't for sure if it helps, but my bike never overheats and my valves are always in spec.

SmithPaw,

Look into EngineIce. I love it. According to their web info, I never replace it during the winter unless I have the bike apart. I do replace it after several months just to keep it fresh.

From the website:

"Engine Ice Hi-Performance Coolant is biodegradable, phosphate free & non-toxic; while reducing operating race temperatures by as much as 50°F and effectively keeping boil over temperatures to 256 °F or less and freeze-up protection to -27° F."

Take look here.

Jeff