Sign in to follow this  

87 Xr250r

My son is looking at a 87 xr250r, Saw the pics,Looks to be in good shape besides paint wear,Has new tires,hand gaurds....chain & sprockets look good..

My ? is there any real known problems besides normal wear and tear??

What a good fair price for a bike of this year??

I know its a older bike,But Xr's are tough, rite???

What size is the front and rear tires??

My son is 16 and has been saving $$ and really wants something better then the old xt200 he's riding now........

Any info would be greatly appreciated....

I;ll check back later..........

thanx

The '86 on XR250's are all tough bikes, but they are getting older now and any example will need a good once over before you buy. The '86 on version was much more reliable than the 84-85 twin-carb models, with the inclusion of an oil cooler mounted on the steering-head, this decreased oil tempratures markedly. The single carb was easy to tune and work on and the bike handled so much better it was a revelation. Things to look for would be the usual things like wheel bearings, chain/sprockets and all the consumables plus this model still had a slight tendancy to crack the heads between the sparkplug hole and the exhaust valves, although not as prevalent as with the earlier versions. Look for smoke when you rev the engine and any rattles within the engine. Check the suspension for smooth operation and damping.

So basically give it a good once over and if the bike checks out dont hesitate to buy it because this was one of the better models Honda has ever released!

The 1986-1995 series is a fantastic bike. I have owned 5 of them over the course of the last 19 years and have NEVER had problem with any of them.

Thinkigs to check when buying a used one...steering head bearings. The oil cooler heats up the head tube and if the bearings are neglected, the scant amount of original grease will not do the job.

The rear suspension and swing arm bolt. The shock is notoriously underdamped, even with the compression and rebound on their full still settings and the linkage and swing arm pivot will freeze up if not properly greased.

Front wheel is a 21" and the rear is an 18". Do not run a large tire on the rear 110/100 or 4.10 will do it. The larger tires will rub the silencer, and sometimes the swing arm.

If the riding area is cramped, the best thing you can do is buy a Answer Pro-Taper clamp kit and bars which places the bars and inch or so forward. It will make it feel like a modern bike instead of having the bars in you lap.

I cannot tell you how many hours and miles I have held these bikes wide open--desert, dualsport, over the mountains, fire roads, you name it.

Just keep the oil changed and ride it.

I have the 87 xr 250 and i love that bike!! Man you could call me crazy or something but i think i like my bike better than the new ones... I mean i wouldntmind having the new 250's but i really relaly love my bike!! But you should just go through the regular maintance check and if everything is pretty good then its a good buy.. And for they price if it is all stock then i would say its around 1000 dollars if its in good shape.. But if its in very good condition and has some money put in it like performance parts then i would probably say the price should be around 1300 or 1400.. That is my estimated guess. But good luck with the buy :cry: