Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Riding, Helicopters and Superbowl......or how I spent Sunday.

Dale from Trickdualsport had a few friends up to his place yesterday. Some friends laid out a nice 40 mile loop to ride before we watched the Superbowl at his house. 17 riders showed up. After Gil pushed me up and down the road on my hard to start XR400 we got on the trail about 9. There was some great single trak stuff and some great hill climbs. Unfortunately Bill Kaiser fell and hurt himself. We couldnt move him much and he had alot of pain in his upper leg area. The area was socked in with fog as we were on a mountain top. We couldn't fly him out. About the time we were strategizing a plan Bill says, "put me on my bike, I'll ride out". So, we gave it a try. We got him up and he was able to sit on the bike. The road was a rocky fireroad. He rode down the half mile or so to the main dirt road, then kept on going. We got to pavement and he felt he could make it back to Dales house. We rode heard like funeral chapperones, stopping traffic at stop signs and turns. When he had to stop we'd ride ahead and catch him as he coasted to a stop. Dales wife met up with us on the road in a truck but Bill wanted to keep riding the bike. So, 20 miles later we pulled into Dales driveway. By now he was in quite a bit of pain and we couldnt get him off the bike. As soon as the medics got there they called an airship. He was soon at the hospital. He shattered his pelvis. The Dr. said it was good we got him off the mountain, the 3 hours getting a vehicle up there and the rescue would not have been good for him. As it worked out the whole ordeal had him in a hospital in a little over an hour. We cant believe the mental toughness of this guy. I'll put some info up here if anyone wants to send him wishes, I know he reads the D-37 Dualsport pages and will see this thread.

After all the riders got back to Dales, we had a very informative power point presentation on GPS by Dan and Gil. They used a projector screen and Dales living room wall. I cant wait for the next lesson. I've been using GPS for 3 years and I learned something new.

Dale had the lunch catered by a great restaurant and the rest of the afternoon was great. Hang in there Bill!

I'm jealous, that sounds like an AMAZING weekend! Despite the injury, it sounds like you guys set the bar pretty high for how to have fun =)

!!!!!! And I thought riding a mile with a shattered elbow was tough. Holy f-ing co man. :cry:

Malcolm has the "No Wimps" and Cisco has the "Broken Toe". Now I guess Dale will become famous (or infamous) for the "Shattered Pelvis"!

WOW...

Hope Bill heals up soon.

Could not imagine the pain of riding out with the broken pelvis.

Hopefully he didn't get bashed up too bad on the ride back.

I'm jealous, that sounds like an AMAZING weekend! Despite the injury, it sounds like you guys set the bar pretty high for how to have fun =)

You should come camping with us...........bring yer banjo.......yeee-hawwwwwwww :cry:

Kidding aside, I talked to Dale tonight. Bill is going to be moved down to LA for specialized care. I hope to talk to him in a few days.

Bill has a chance to join Gil in the broken Pelvis club. Gil got a helicopter ride too and a bunch of stainless steel hardware installed.

Bill will be required to post his Xrays on the internet just like Gil did to become a full fledged member.

I was one of the guys that helped Bill get to his feet and back on the bike.

Since he was able to stand I guessed the worst case would be a deep tissue bruise. But to ride out with a busted hip :cry:

Bill, you da Man!

Ouchhhhhh!! That had to hurt. I hope bill gets better soon. Kieth, Get him on one of our ride when he get better Man, how I absolutely Hate anything that has the word "Hospital" attached to it. :cry:

This is Gil,

I was on that ride sunday and it brought back some undesirable memories seeing Bill lying there with a damaged hip. It has now been 14 months since I crashed in manix wash on the LaBV ride and had to have my acetabular pelvic fracture repaired. If Bill needs surgery I can recommend a fantastic surgeon that specializes in this kind of work.

:cry:

Gil, give him the name of your physical therapist, she was purdy! And Rabbit, he's allready got a standing invite to join the "Posse" :cry: