Sign in to follow this  

Good Ol Hatfield McCoy

I am a new rider, but i have really learned a lot about riding and i plan a trip with 7 other guys to hatfield in march. I know there are a lot of you guys who have rode this trail religously. I just wanted to hear more about it, get some tips for it, and know what al to bring. Anything said will help me out im sure. Thanks!

I am also going in March with a small group (4 of us so far). It is a 12 hour drive so I don't get to go often but it is well worth the drive. I would suggest you decide which trail system to go to and plan your ride based on the skill level of your group. If the trail is wet and it says "Black" it will really be difficult. We had about 7 in our last trip and the less skilled riders had to call it a day early because we took them on some Black trails that kicked their tail.

I have only been to two or three of the trail systems but my favorite by far is the Dingess Rum Trail system.

One other thing... plan on rain.

Like 22HiStandard mentioned there are several trail systems. Go to http://www.trailsheaven.com/ and print off the trail maps in color. The green trails are fire roads, the blue ones are

more 4 wheeler trails w/ some water thrown in, and the black ones are more technical.

The black ones usually consist of alot of rocks and @ least a few tricky hill climbs.

They do have yellow trails (awesome single track).

We stay @ Black bear Lodge and ride right to the trails. Great place.

If you are visiting in March, plan for cold and rainy weather. We may have good warm weather, but it is best to be prepared. Rainsuits are highly advised. Plan on dressing warmly in layers. You can always peel your layers of clothing as needed.

I know that you will have a great trip!

I rode "Waterways" a yr or so ago, they say it's easiest...thought I was on a roller coaster ride. Be prepared for a switch-back or 2. Also, I highly recommend running a larger rear sprocket to get more engine breaking on downhills. I have a 48 rear but probably run a 50 or so next time I go.

don't forget to Hammer Down! :)