Sold the 230 - Jump to 250 or 450?

Hey Everyone:

Has anyone happily gone from riding a crf230 to the crf450? There's a used 450 for sale on my block I'm looking at now that my 230's sold. Weight's about the same, but HP is about double. Would the crf250 be a better choice? Here's the important stats:

22 yr old male

5'8'' 165lb

Intermediate rider - desert only

No track riding at the moment - Just going out and having fun

Give me some opinions! 250 or 450 and why

Thanks!

You forgot that having a button also makes it a chicks bike. Keep in mind that the "tough guys" are so tough they don't need helmets. Pretty much nothing to lose. ??

I ride my 230 in the desert & have fun with it but if I had pick a desert only bike I'd go with my first recommendation.

You forgot that having a button also makes it a chicks bike. Keep in mind that the "tough guys" are so tough they don't need helmets. Pretty much nothing to lose. ??

I ride my 230 in the desert & have fun with it but if I had pick a desert only bike I'd go with my first recommendation.

? Toast! What YOU said!

`

I put this in a different thread, but the difference I saw between the 250 and 450 was that the 250 liked to be revved higher to be at its best. Now admittedly, it was an '03 WR 250, so I can't speak to how the CRF 250X rides. I ended up going with the WR 450 because it will allow me to "putt" around a little better, while still being able to scoot when I need it to.

I still like my 230, though. No doubt, it is a great bike - especially for what it is intended. I'm trying to get my wife to ride it, but she likes her TTR-125LE. I would like to keep the 230 around to have an extra bike to take a friend to ride.

No one can tell you which bike to get.

Go out there and figure it out for yourself.

Sorry if I'm a little bitchy, but post's like these are rediculous.

Yeah, you are bitchy. This post isn't ridiculous and "musgofasta's" questions are perfectly legit.

I went from a 230 to a CRF250R and the difference is so unbelievable, well, it's unbelievable. If you rode a 250F (any make), you would instantly think you could never need more power than that. Once you get used to it though, you'll start looking for more power. With the 250 or 450, there's so much more to it than just an increase in power. The suspension is so much better you'll wonder how you ever got along with your 230.

I still have the 230 and ride it all the time. It's an awesome trail bike and climbs hills like a tractor on crack. Tons of fun but when I bought it, I was thinking trails would be all I would want to ride. Now I'm riding mostly MX and the occasional trail.

Bottom line: If you have a chance to test ride some bikes, ride as many as you can. I rode some YZF's, CRF's, and a KTM 300EXC before deciding on my CRF. If you plan on riding mostly desert, DO NOT count out the KTM's. They are IMO, the best woods bikes available and in the desert, you'll fall in love with the power. The 300EXC will run with the CRF450 and when the 450 gets to the top of 5th gear, you'll still have lots of room left on the KTM. If you have a chance to ride one, you will want one.

Yeah, you are bitchy. This post isn't ridiculous and "musgofasta's" questions are perfectly legit.

Think about this. Someone may say, get a 250, or get a 450, or get a honda, or get a yamaha, or get a kawi...

I prefer a Yammy over the Honda, but that doesn't mean that it's the only right way. He might have a different style and perfrence for all I know.

If it's about maintnence and reliability, that's legit. Asking which bike to get when we know nothing about the guy, that's not. It's like asking you right now, which dog should I get? A chiwowa, or a Lab?

All I'm sayin is go out there for yourself and find out. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Mustgofasta,

i currently have a crf 230 and have rode the 250X. I haven't rode the 450 but form what all my friends say it just isn't as much fun and it has too much bark! I am 5'6" 128 and have no problem at all just moving up to the 250! It all depends on your riding style. If you are a trail rider hit the 250 thats all you will need with out getting hurt ?! You say that you wont be racing so that to me says get one of the X models and as far as the 250 vs. the 450 once again it depends on if you ride trails at all. it also depends on the price and how clean the bike on your street is.