Sign in to follow this  

Greasing linkage question

Silly question of the year... When regreasing the rear linkage, is it necessary to remove the needle bearings? Or can you leave them in and just mash new grease in and around the bearings? Thanks for the help :cry:

-Mark

Pull out the side collars and pivot collar, leave the roller bearings alone. Take a clean cloth and rotate it inside the bearings to try to clean out any existing grease and grunge. Then, smear in new grease, roll bearings, smear in, roll, smear, roll..... Replace collar. The service manual recommends a lithium based multi-purpose grease, NLGI # 2 or equivalent. Maxima waterproof grease meets the spec.

Yup......

It's pretty easy to do. It's takes me one night.

I have gotten into the habit where I do it once a year.

Linkage, steering head and wheel bearings.

After a year of dust, water, mud and pressure washing, they need it.

G

You don't need to take them out but be very careful not to shake them too much or they may fall out.

I would take them out and clean them. Put some grease in there and the clean rollers will "stick" to the grease, making it easier to get 'em lined up again.

I remember once while regreasing my GG I blew the bearings out with compressed air. I thought they were caged and couldn't come out, boy was I wrong, They flew all over my shop! :cry: Damn! Ended up finding every one.

I haven't actually done the procedure on my X yet (yeah, I know), but on my XR4, if I was concerned about needle bearings falling out, I'd push the collar half way out, clean and grease one half of the length of the bearings, the push the collar half way out the other direction and repeat. You can get everything pretty clean, plus the needle bearings can't fall out.

I remember once while regreasing my GG I blew the bearings out with compressed air. I thought they were caged and couldn't come out, boy was I wrong, They flew all over my shop! :cry: Damn! Ended up finding every one.

Gee I can imagine anybody doing that.... :cry::cry:

(You're not the Lone Ranger! :cry: )

I was greasing my steering and linkage for the first time last night. I was actually shocked to see that there was still grease in the bearings. It seems than most manufactures use very little grease when assembling bikes, but not in this case. I didn't remove the needles,i just carefully cleaned them using a paper towel and regreased them with moly grease.