Sign in to follow this  

Machinist's MCCT: installation comments

I want to thank the people at TT for their backup and loyal help :cry:

And of course Rui for helping us out with his wonderful machined MCCT, excellent customer care, detailed instructions, and Burned for his installation guide input.

At first I was very sceptical as many of us are about the installation procedure (judging by the number of topics on this subject, lol, here's another one :cry:).

Here it goes again:

- I installed the new cam chain, put in the ACCT and fired it up.

- I removed the gas tank, black box and cam cover to get an idea of the chain tension. It is tight.

- Then I pulled the ACCT (first remove the spring!) and measured how far the plunger came out, then I set the MCCT plunger to the exact same distance. I then measured how far it sticks out on the outside (from alu body to top of adjuster nut, this was in my case 33.8 mm). I took note and unscrewed the MCCT plunger.

- I installed the MCCT, and played a bit with it (in, out, you know :cry:), so I familiarized myself with the tension. I also screwed the MCCT in till I reached the 33.8mm. Yes it was as tight as with the ACCT.

- I installed evrything back and set the MCCT to 34mm, just a little bit less than the MCCT set to stock tension (33.8mm). Remember some call the ACCT the automatic cam chain stretcher, so I didn't want to put that much tension on the chain, a little bit less.

Remeber I only used my fingers and no excessive force. If you have a hard time screwing it in, stop, and double check evrything. If you measured it well, there should be no problems.

- I started my bike while carefully listening to the different sounds it makes. It was quiet, just like with the ACCT.

- I took a deep breath and unscrewed it carefully, according to Burned's procedure. And indeed, you could suddenly hear the chain slapping. It's not an alarming sound, it's a little tick-slap, but should be distinguishable from other sounds. My MCCT was at 34.6mm when I started hearing the chain noise.

Then I screwed it back in till the noise went away, that was at 34.5mm. I secured the MCCT with the locknut.

- I went out and pulled big wheelies, evrything was fine :cry:

A few remarks I'd like to make:

- I don't have a DRZ dirtbike, but an LTZ quad. It has the same engine, but some things are a little different, like the black box close to the tensioner.

It was a bit of a hassle to get the black box installed again, but the right amount of cursing did it. As every bike is different, some may have a little more/less troubles getting it on.

- I did the MCCT install on a brand new stock cam chain, but regardless of that you shouldn't thrust my MCCT measurements. They might be good for comparision though.

A picture:

mcct.jpg

Yes indeed, especially in the beginning when the ACCT is almost fully compressed.

When I removed the ACCT it had 2 clicks left. Although it wasn't at its end, I could hear a little chain slapping. I initially thought it were the valves, but after a valve check and with my MCCT installed I know better.

Maybe the ACCT doesn't give enough tension when it's almost fully out.

Thanks to the ratchet mechanism it takes every possibility of an occasional chain stretch (revving, bogging, whatever) to take another tooth, keeping the chain overtensioned.

That could mean the ACCT initially is overtightening the cam chain, and when the cam chain has stretched enough, the ACCT tension goes from too much tension to not enough tension and back, every time it comes out one more tooth.

Nah it's just one of the many thoughts about the ACCT...

I also want to say I think Burned's method is the most accurate way to adjust your MCCT. But I would think it's better to use the chain tension method with the valve cover off when installing it, then finetune following Burned's directions.

That could mean the ACCT initially is overtightening the cam chain, and when the cam chain has stretched enough, the ACCT tension goes from too much tension to not enough tension and back, every time it comes out one more tooth.

Nah it's just one of the many thoughts about the ACCT...

I also want to say I think Burned's method is the most accurate way to adjust your MCCT. But I would think it's better to use the chain tension method with the valve cover off when installing it, then finetune following Burned's directions.

You and I and a host of others feel or have felt the same way, my friend.

It really helps you understand what's going on if you remove the valve cover, check the valve clearances, and the cam chain tension with the ACCT in place. As you know, I did the same. And applying the installation methods listed in both sets of instructions will give you the best results.

Rui makes an excellent piece of hardware and provides well-written instructions for an (almost) idiot-proof installation. :cry: