Sign in to follow this  

Manchester State Forest OHV VS Brushy Mt.

Manchester State Forest OHV /VS/ Brushy Mt. ..where the better riding.. Been to Brushy many times.. But never to Manchester..Tell me a little about it please

It's decent riding, even after a rain. There is a smallish track type area with some tabletops and berms. A lot of soft sandy terrain.

Last time I was there some of the trails were pretty whooped out, but there was only one trail had has so many whoops that you thought they were never going to end.

I've never been to Brushy, so I can't compare the two, but I'm thinking about going on Sunday :cry:

:cry:

but I'm thinking about going on Sunday :cry:

Why not go this Saturday,there will a few fellow TTer's there.

Hey man, those two area's are world's apart. Manchester's dead flat and nothing like the mountains. It even requires a different riding style when you're in that loose sand down there. You have to ride the rear, as opposed to getting up and over the front fender like mountain riding. Your front wheel will tuck on every turn unless your weight's on the back. Just let the front kinda float and it's a blast. The track down there's kinda just a play track and nothing more serious than that, but the woods are fast and whoopie. I'm planning a trip down myself in the next few weeks but can't go this wk/end. Have fun though and give us a post when you get back, I'd like to know what you thought.

Not going to make it there this weekend.. Heading to brushy this saturday.. Maybe i'll try Manchester when you go.. Just let me know the weekend.

Manchester only has about 18 miles of whooped out, wide open sand trails. Now 15 years ago.... don't get me started. :cry:

Manchester only has about 18 miles of whooped out, wide open sand trails. Now 15 years ago.... don't get me started. :cry:

Yeah I know...I've been riding down there for the last 20 years on and off and perfered it the old way too, when you could ride all of it. But with riding area's few and far between I still enjoy going there.

I'm not a sand rider by birth, but I do enjoy Manchester to a point. It is good for conditioning and its a totally different style of riding that you have to either adjust to or go down in a cloud of dust. However, I am VERY partial to mountain riding because I am originally from western N.C. and the challenges posed in the hills are much greater and more extravagant than anything the flatlands could ever offer. Coming down the side of a hard-packed dirt ridge full of roots...jumping a few off-camber logs...a water crossing full of rocks that you can't see...and then back up the side of a mountain that has loose shale rock and black dirt...hard to beat that kind of diversity in a day. Even Brushy Mtn. doesn't have it, but I have ridden that kind of stuff often in 23 years and its all less than two hours away from Brushy. Unless you hook up with a local though, you'll never know what you're missing.

but I'm thinking about going on Sunday :cry:

Why not go this Saturday,there will a few fellow TTer's there.

Actually, I've got a pretty good little Saturday planned.....I'm maybe gonna go to Home Depot, pick up some flooring.....Maybe even bed bath and Beyond, but i'm not sure if I'll have enough time..... :cry:

....one of these weekends I'll be able to hook up with you guys.... :cry:

Manchester is one of my favorite places to roost and I mean roost. Keep it wound up tight and floating on that sand feels like your are literally flying on air. Let the front weight and it will knife inside a turn and you'll be taking a soil sample. A great place to perfect your whoop ridding. Fantastic ridding if you like sand.