Sign in to follow this  

04 crf450r not starting

Hey guys,

Just purchased the JD jetting kit and waiting, but in the meantime I have been having trouble starting and idling. I have played around with the Fuel screw and no luck. It seems to backfire and pop while trying to start and it sounds if it is way too rich when kicking it over. Could the valves need adjustment? It will only start when you give it some throttle (but still pretty hard to do). Oh yeah, the settings and jetting are stock with an FMF pipe. Once it starts, it seems to run ok but still doesn't idle. Thanks for any help.

JLembas

It's been awhile, but here is an update just in case someone else has these problems.

Took the carb off and cleaned as James suggested. Thanks James. I couldn't believe how dirty the top half of the carb was. But still no noticable dirt in the bowl or the jets. Threw it back on and still no luck. The bike sounded like it wanted to start on the first few kicks, but never did. Then it would just load up with fuel and backfire!

At this point, I was becoming frustrated. So I decided to check into the valves (especially the intake) since I heard that may influence starting on the Hondas. Anyway, the exhaust valves weren't too bad, but the intake were way off!! So I bought a shim kit from TT and shimmed the valves yesterday. Threw it back together and .......started on the third kick! Oh yeah, and it idles now too. :)

Now I can start messing around with the JD kit and really dial this hog in. I'll keep you updated.