Sign in to follow this  

Buckled front wheel

Dear All,

I have just noticed that my front wheel is buckled. It has about 5 mm of sideways runout over a small part of the rim on 1 side only.

Is this a problem? It seems to be un-noticeable when riding the bike.

I have no idea how it happened, I have not hit anything hard that I am aware of.

I check the spoke tension every couple of weeks and there have been no issues there.

The buckle is right by the rim lock - maybe that has caused it?

Any advice appreciated.

well it dosn't even have to be low. Just a big enough bump in the wrong position with enough force and you can easily dent those stock rims. Excel rims are much stronger, but they come at a big cost too. The dent wont effect anything when its that minor.

The lower the pressure you run, the more suseptable you are to denting rims on hard rocks. So just keep your tires pumped don't forget about adding air like I always do and you'll be fine. 15psi is good.

Aside from dents, don't forget about pinch flats! :cry:

You can get a little better traction in the soft stuff with lower pressures, but if you ride anything with rocks, forget it. 15 psi is good for just about everything offroad otherwise. Run more if you're on the street a whole bunch.

One more thing is speed. If you running faster fire roads you might want to run even harder tire pressure. Also tire makes can run different pressures over the same terrain. If I run a Michelin front tire M12/S12 I run 18-22psi in the desert. If I'm running a D773/D756 I run 16-18psi at speed. Now if I'm in the mud or doing single track, sand wash's I will drop down to 8-12 psi.

Rocks are wheel killers. You may not have felt a rim hit at the time but that is how you bent your wheel. When I change my tires I'll take the rim and lay it flat on the front step and beat it flat with a heavy hammer then true the wheel the best I can. Wheels can take a lot of punishment as long as you keep the spokes tight.

Wheels can take a lot of punishment as long as you keep the spokes tight.

They sure can! This one was fixed using heat, a mallet and a vice.

MyRim.jpg

They sure can! This one was fixed using heat, a mallet and a vice.

MyRim.jpg

Time for some new hoops 230B.jpg

Some gold ones sure would look nice..

And it's not bling,,if ya needed it anyway :cry:

The buckle is right by the rim lock - maybe that has caused it)))))))

Yep the rim lock puts pressure on that rim wall