Sign in to follow this  

KTM 525 MXC Starter Gear

I just purchased a new 525 MXC in January and have several good rides on it. I love the bike, but the last ride the starter was making noises. Took it back to the dealer, and he said the starter gear was broken. I had purchased it exactly 30 days prior and it has a 30 warranty so no cost to me, however, it this a problem anyone has had and should I be worried?

Have the valves been adjusted?? What happens is if the exhaust valves get loose the automatic decompressor becomes deactivated which is too much load for the starter. I posted instruction on setting the valves here about two days ago, set the exhaust valves at .005" and althogh spec is also 5 on intake, give it 6.

Yep, My 05 exc525 had the same problem after about 200miles, one of the starter gear teeth broke off , luckily it was caught by the sump plug and ktm replaced the gear for me. Reasons could be slightly higher compression or smaller battery doesnt have the same power but i suspect its down to a batch of the gear cogs not being properly heat treated.

As long as the broken teeth went straight to your magnetic oildrain bolt i dont think you need to worry.

A couple of my mates also had replacement clutches after about 100 miles on the 525s, my decals are lifting and the rear tail light connector is a bit iffy, also the single red button for the starter and no kill switch with it is naff.

Having aired those few glitches, its actually the best bike ive ridden to date with the upgraded chassis and suspension, and the fork seals are spot on.

I just hope that ktm dont lose the attention to detail that we all like now they are in demand.

Thanks for the response. The valves were adjusted by the dealer just before the last ride which was the first 10 hour adjustment. The dealer indicated it was probably due to hitting the starter button while the bike was still turning over???

Ive had several bikes, the most recent is an 04 CRF 450 and my current XR 650R. The KTM is by far my favorate ride I just hope reliability is reasonable. I do change oil often and will do my own valve adjustments in the future.

Thanks for the response. The valves were adjusted by the dealer just before the last ride which was the first 10 hour adjustment. The dealer indicated it was probably due to hitting the starter button while the bike was still turning over???

Ive had several bikes, the most recent is an 04 CRF 450 and my current XR 650R. The KTM is by far my favorate ride I just hope reliability is reasonable. I do change oil often and will do my own valve adjustments in the future.

A heat treat problem is certainly an option! Bumping the starter? should not be an issue?? there is a "sprag" clutch in there, allows it to drive one way and not the other that should make this a non issue. Something I have experianced is, you climb a big hill, get stopped, the bike tries to roll backwards then makes a funny noise that I can describe, then stops. I have had the fear when it does this that I am binding up the starter but never been shure what it is.

I was searching on this problem over on the KTM Talk forum and found many posts about starter gears missing teeth. Mainly 03-05 bikes but most being the 05 525s with an occasional 400/450 with an aggressive rider aboard.

I have an 05 525EXC that has the same problem. It stalled when jumping a tree root on an uphill climb. When I hit the starter I heard the grinding.

With further research I found that in 2003 there was a production change for the intermediate starter gear to either save weight, costs or both. Some also suspect heat treatment to be another culprit. The 02 gear is much beefier as shown on the manuals exploded drawings. All other parts and starter assy surrounding the gear are the same.

After talking with someone else in my area that just had it fixed under warranty, his bike (an 05 525) started doing the same thing again within a month. His had been repaired with the standard 05 spec. part(s).

I have made arrangements with the dealer to put in the 02 gear when they repair it under warranty. I will pay for the 02 gear as it would be a paperwork problem for them under warranty status. Worth it to not have it happen again! It sounds like KTM is taking care of the repairs under warranty for up to 6 months from purchase.

The part numbers for reference are:

05 Starter Inter gear 59040022158 $28.89

02 Starter Inter gear 59040022058 $47.05

KTM talk has a parts link to Munns Racing that will give you the different years drawings to take a look.

I will post back when mine if fixed and the on going status there after.

Good luck, Leroy.

:cry::cry::cry:

Thanks for the great information. I will talk to my dealer about the 02 gear.